20-27" TV with Comp. Video & good sound?

Discussion in 'Displays' started by Greg Robinson, Sep 8, 2003.

1. Greg Robinson

Greg Robinson Stunt Coordinator

Greg R
    I need to pick up an inexpensive tube TV, 20-27" and my only real requirements are good sound (will not be using external speakers) and component video inputs. Last week I grabbed a 27" open box Panasonic from Best Buy but I think I'm returning it. The sound is pretty hollow and tinny and it seems to have a slight geometry problem (my DirecTV channel banner rectangle is more of a trapezoid). Can anyone recommend an inexpensive set (under $300) that meets these 2 criteria? Thanks!

2. Jack Briggs

Jack Briggs Executive Producer

It is a rare consumer display that has "good sound"; at best, you will only find something that doesn't sound as bad as TV speakers normally do.

3. ChadLB

ChadLB Screenwriter

Personally I like the Toshiba TV's.

4. Brian PB

Brian PB Supporting Actor

I recently purchased the Toshiba 27AF43 27" flat screen TV (its predecessor--the 27AF42--was the best-rated set in Consumer Reports last ratings in March). I'm very pleased with the picture quality, and the sound is fine. The only problem is that it runs around $399 (Best Buy), but that extra 100 bucks is well worth it, IMO.

As consumers migrate towards ever-larger screens, it's clear to me that manufacturers are not putting much effort into improving the quality of the smaller analog sets. As a result, there's a lot of crap out there under 27".