What's new

20~25ft from htpc to projector, what cables to use? (1 Viewer)

Oupei

Agent
I need to connect a htpc and a projector through a 20~25 tunnel in the roof of my basement. should I use:

1. dvi
2. vga
3. s-video
4. something else?

Tekara

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Robert
well, my thought is that you'd get the best quality with a DVI connection and an amp. Though I imagine a high quality cable could make the run without one.

Dalton

Screenwriter
Real Name
Dalton
I run a 25ft VGA cable to my PJ. Got it at PCCables.com and have been very happy with it. I don't have DVI so i can't comment on that. I will say the picture quality from the 25ft VGA cable is outstanding. Plus it will be much less $$$ than a 25ft DVI cable.

Oupei

Agent
I haven't seen any 25ft dvi cables and I assumed it was due to some limitation of the nature of the cable. by amp, do you mean an inline amp to amplify the signal? as in connecting:

htpc >> inline amp >> projector?

I haven't seen any inline amps for dvi, but I'll go searching.

and vga doesn't sound too bad either. I'll use that if dvi doesn't work out.

edit:
hmm... I found some dvi splitter/amps but they're $200~300+. I also found a 25ft dvi-d-m cable at pccables.com. if that cable is ok, I think I'll go with that. what do you guys think?

Francois Caron

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
François Caron
I use a thick 25 foot VGA cable myself (no DVI input on the projector). Interesting thing though. I get better picture quality if I pump a high resolution signal through it (I normally project at 1280x720) instead of a low resolution signal which picks up tons of radio interference from the surrounding area (problems start at 800x600). My home theater appears to be located within an RF focal point -- the sub was also affected.

From what I've read, DVI cables appear to have a lot of trouble handling high resolution signals on long cable runs, a total opposite of what I've experienced. But throw in a signal amplifier if available and you might be okay.

BTW, the VGA cable only cost me $50 Canadian, a lot cheaper than a DVI cable and a signal amp.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks