What's new

20-25 Hz (1 Viewer)

William_Gravem

Stunt Coordinator
Paul,

I've done some looking into this. First, I decided to go with some sort of wall-mountable speakers. After looking around quite a bit, what I finally decided to go with is Axiom M22ti's mains and VP 100 center mounted with the full-metal bracket, and wall mounted rears. I really loved a set of paradigms, but speaker stands and floor standing speakers are bad ideas, and the Axiom seemed to be the closest wall mountable speaker I could find (it was also cheaper which was a nice plus). If I lived in a house, I'd have more flexability, and would consider in-walls.

I've gathered a ton of advice ranging from "the cat will learn if you blast it with the sub" to "squirt it with a watergun if it goes near the speaker" and but both my wife and I work and the cats pretty much do what they want when we're not home. Also, I'm not getting rid of my cats, declawing my cats, locking them out of the living room (in a 1570 sq ft condo that's completely unpractical...) so it hasn't always been the easiest question to ask. Plus, I'm sure I'm soon going to be known as the freaky cat guy. (If I'm not already. :b )

I'm also trying to find solutions that are neat and easy. I don't want to have to remove a protective cover every time I want to hear my speakers, and I don't want to put aluminum foil all over the floor around my speakers.

The best advice I can give is to go with wall mounted speakers that the cats can't get to, and a down-firing sub. Now, it'll take work to make sure the cat can't get under the sub... so you can try a few things.

Cats don't like citrus, so you can rub lemon rinds around the base of the sub, or put lemon juice on the grills (there are sprays you can buy for this sort of thing, but they didn't work on my sofa, so I don't see them working here.) Double sided tape around the bottom of the sub will also help deter the cat from poking around under there. I'm hoping that with the citrus, double sided tape, the heavy bass "teaching the cat a lesson", and a scratching post elsewhere in the room... I won't have a lot to worry about. But I'm still on the lookout for a better solution.

Hope this was helpful.

William_Gravem

Stunt Coordinator
ps, there are also several companies that make flat panel speakers (paradigm and B&W for instance)... they go really well if you have a plasma or flat panel LCD, but I think if you don't have the flat panel tv to go with it (I've got an LCD projection) it'll look a little silly. Then again, I'm probably going to have double sided tape on my SVS's integrated base plate... so what's silly?

Paul.X

Auditioning
William,

Thanks for the suggestions. One of my girlfriends cats is very vindictive so I'm worried because I am buying expensive floorstanding speakers ( I know expensive is realtive, but we are talking about me so it is expensive ;) ).

We were hoping to find speakers with metal grills that we liked and could afford but this was not the case =[ We are going with non metal grills. I only hope the cats don't attack them ;p The cats have plenty of other things they can scratch, the least being a cat condo...

I find the cats run like hell when I grab the compressed air can, but I don't like using that much as it has a tendency to squirt out that frozen air when you aim it down...

The vindictive cat also likes tin foil so that won't help. I think I am just going to have to citrus up the grills and if that doesn;t work sacrifice them to the cats =

Unfortunate but nothing I can really do =[ Maybe put a few tacks through the grills the first few days hahah... I'm sure after the first two times they won't be scratching the grills anymore ;p

Rory Buszka

Supporting Actor
Use metal stands for bookshelf speakers. Bookshelf speakers sound better when placed on stands, anyway. Then you can buy nicer bookshelf speakers because you'll have saved a good deal of money over buying floorstanders.

Nathan W.

Stunt Coordinator
For me it's important for my subs to do 20Hz - 30Hz with authority since I use a sub-harmonic generator for music listening.

Bassically, (PI, pun intended), if you're a basshead, then 20Hz extension is important. That is if you realize what true deep bass feels and sounds like.

All the Acoustimass lovers who think they're hearing deep bass can only be mid-bass heads.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SaladinNagasawa
Recent bookmarks