What's new

20,000 Leagues Under The Sea (1 Viewer)

soop.spoon

Supporting Actor
In addition to Mr. Crawford's question, I'm also very curious to know what other titles will accompany 20,000 Leagues in the next batch of Vault Disney titles.

Brian McHale

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Brian McHale
Ultimately, whether the meaning is distance below the surface or distance travelled while below the surface, "20,000 leagues" is still a gross overexaggeration
In the movie, it may be an exageration, but I read the book many years ago and, IIRC, the main character did travel about 20,000 leagues on the Nautilus, so the title is actually correct.

I assume the League was a much more common unit back when the book was written, so there would probably have been no more confusion than if it were released today as "7,000 Miles Under the Sea." Everybody would immediately understand that you didn't mean "7,000 Miles Deep."

BTW, the reason you probably wouldn't use Leagues to measure depth is that a League is just too big to be practical. Even Miles would be too coarse a unit, which is why people use feet or meters.

Ruz-El

Fake Shemp
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Russell
This is my first post, so apologies if it seems redundant!

If memory serves, 20,000 was supposed to come out in the first wave of Vault Disneys, then held back due to the large amount of extras available (some of which can be sampled on other Disney DVDs :"Disneyland USA, Fantasia Legacy are 2 that come to mind.) I seem to remember a post on another site in which Leonard Maltin hinted at a possible 3 disc set, which sounds unrealistic to me. This was at the same time he announced the following "Walt Disney Treasure" titles in development:
"The War Years" (I wet myself on that one!)
"True-Life Adventures" (OOPS! Did it again!)
And some thing called "AKA The Scarecrow", Which I've never heard of, but presume was part of the TV show.

So I guess we keep our fingers crossed and hope that Disney does right by these titles, especially that they have proved themselves capable of doing FANTASTIC special editions!

JJR512

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Justin J. Rebbert
almost right Justin, you don't go through the Maw on the Kessel Run, rather the gravity shadow cast by the huge conglommeration of black holes makes it difficult to jump near Kessel. The significance of Han's boast is that the Falcon was able to withstand the strain of cutting closer than was advisable to the black holes (shortening his distance). Going through the Maw lands you in the 'eye' where according to the EU novels the death Star and sun crusher were developed (now blown to pieces by Ep II), and such a journey (and knowledge about Kessel!) only takes place in the books. In actuality I think it was a flub on Lucas' part mistaking distance measure for time.
That makes sense. I knew I was a bit fuzzy on some of the details. That Solo could cut closer to the black holes, making the route shorter, implies his ship was faster, because the faster you can travel, the closer you can get to a black hole because you wouldn't be within its grasp long enough for it to trap you. You would have too much "escape velocity", I think. So I guess in a way, he was indeed saying his ship was fast. But I do agree, though, that it probably was a mistake on Lucas's part. But one thing Lucas is very good at is finding plausible ways to "explain away" his mistakes! :D

Matt Pelham

Screenwriter
There used to be a 20,000 Leagues ride at Disney World Orlando, and the employees nickname for it was "20,000 Leaks under the seat ":)
Justin, the reason everyone's giving you a hard time is that you tried to inform us of one of the oldest movie misconceptions ever! The SNL skit (which is hilarious) had Kelsey Grammer trying to explain to the crew of the submarine that they were travelling 20,000 Leagues distance underneath the surface of the water, but the crew didn't understand and kept blaring out that they were going "20,000 Leagues under the Sea!". It got to the point where Kelsey kept getting increasingly frustrated and got out a chalkboard and tried to draw a picture explaining how 20,000 Leagues straight down would go way past the other side of the earth, but still nobody understood.

JJR512

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Justin J. Rebbert
Sorry, I didn't mean to be informing anyone of anything other than the fact that I found it amusing, and why I found it amusing. As I said, I'll try to keep my amusements to myself in the future, so as to avoid all this...whatever. Again, sorry I wasted everybody's time; I guess I should do a search first before talking about anything to make sure all thirty thousand members don't already know about it.

Douglas R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Doug
One good thing I read on another forum, apparently from someone who participated in making the DVD, is that an accompanying documentary includes a newly filmed interview with Kirk Douglas reminiscing about the film. Outtakes include the original fight with the giant squid in daylight before it was re-filmed during a storm.

Todd Phillips

Second Unit
Justin,

You didn't waste anyone's time. I got a kick out of your analysis (and the hard time people gave you). It could happen to anyone, and obviously has, since there is a skit about it. I distinctly remember asking my dad how deep 20,000 leagues was when I was younger.

JJR512

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Justin J. Rebbert
Thank you. :) I was being a bit...sarcastic, I suppose...with my apologies, but now, sincerely, I will apologize for being over-dramatic. This thread reminded me of something I found amusing, and I thought other people would get a kick out of it, too, like Todd and a few other people did. Really, I didn't know it was as commonly known as all this. I've never seen the skit. Now I'd like to see it, but I rarely have time to watch SNL reruns, and I'd have to get extremely lucky that one of the rare times I am able to, it happens to be that episode.

LukeB

Senior HTF Member
That SNL skit was hilarious. I hope they include that as a "Hidden Treasure" on the DVD set. :D

JeremySt

Screenwriter
Real Name
Jeremy
I grew up watching Uncle Walt showing off the many wonders of Disney Land, and when I finally went to Disney World in 1997, I was bummed to find that the Submarine Ride was no more.:frowning: :frowning:
And in Disney Land, I thought that turning the Swiss Familt Tree House into Tarzan's tree house was sacreligious!;)

Paul Penna

Screenwriter
Real Name
Paul
For me, the best "20,000 Leagues" attraction at Disneyland was a walk-through affair which _I believe_ used elements from the actual movie sets. You strolled through the corridors of fake cast-iron walls with big rivets in them as well as Nemo's main salon with the pipe organ, peered through diorama scenes of the undersea, and a one point, watched as an iron door slowly slid up to reveal the blinding light emanating from the power source. The "blinding light" was actually sunlight shining against a white wall outside the building. There was also a very detailed scale model of the Nautilus, again, I believe, one which was used in the film. The attraction is long gone, however, along with the Monsanto House of the Future and the Moon Rocket ride.

Users who are viewing this thread