What's new

20,000 Leagues Under The Sea masked (1 Viewer)

RolandL

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Roland Lataille
My DVD copy of 20,000 Leagues Under The Sea came in the mail yesterday from Amazon.com. Everything about it (the picture, sound and extras) are wonderful so, I thought I would do an A/B comparison to the laser disc.

The opening titles on the laser disc were a bit to the left but on the DVD they are properly centered. Comparing the aspect ratio - 2.35:1 on the laser disc, 2.45:1 on the DVD. I thought because of this I would be seeing slighty more of the film frame on the DVD. But no, all they did was crop the top, bottom and right of the film. You are seeing more on the laser disc than on the DVD.

Mike_S

Stunt Coordinator
Roland, I also have the Disney Archive Collection laserdisc.
Have you noticed that the laserdisc has a slightly 'squashed' image top to bottom? The characters in the film had a slightly 'fat' look to them. It didn't seem to affect Peter Lorre as much. As someone in the Ron Epstein review thread pointed out, how did Disney allow such an obvious flaw to get into the market with the (then) quite expensive LD? I've purchased the new DVD of this title and although I have not yet had a chance to view it, all reports indicate it's a stellar transfer of a great movie. Cheers.

-Mike

Rain

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rain
Have you noticed that the laserdisc has a slightly 'squashed' image top to bottom? The characters in the film had a slightly 'fat' look to them.
This is par for the course with CinemaScope films. You will always notice this type of distortion to some degree.

Joe Caps

Senior HTF Member
That distortion was not in the film, but in the bad laserdisc transfer. "Fat" transfers are a [rpb;e, fpr amy film. The DVD of Far and away has been transferreed fat all the way through. The laser looks much better.

TedD

Supporting Actor
There are many MGM LD's that were transferred "skinny", as well. Actually this is simply the result of not applying the same magnification to the vertical and horizontal dimensions. The "skinny" MGM LD's were an early form of anamorphic transfer, although the techs that transferred them didn't realize it.

What they were doing was minimizing the black bars by slightly stretching the height.

The MGM LD's in question were anywhere from 2.05:1 to 2.25:1 and could be restored to the correct AR simply by reducing the height.

Early CinemaScope had a problem with anamorphic distortion caused by the camera lenses, which often results in a "fat" area in the center of the screen (sometimes referred to as the "CinemaScope mumps").

Anyhow, I digress. My point is that the home video versions have had variations from the proper proportions for years.

If you have an HTPC and Zoom Player or TheaterTek for DVD, and D-Scaler for LD, it's a non-issue and easily correctable with the zoom and blanking contols.

Ted

DeeF

Screenwriter
The actors in this movie look "fat" to my eyes, on the DVD. The AR is clearly not 2.55:1, but something less wide (I have The King And I and How To Marry A Millionaire, for comparison).

Overall, I found this disk very pleasing, but the 'scope problems are apparent. I don't know if this is how it looked originally or not.

Ken_McAlinden

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Kenneth McAlinden
Well, if the distortion is non-uniform, i.e. it is more noticeable in the center of the frame, then it is probably a Cinemascope artifact (this was a fairly early Cinemascope film). If it is the same problem everywhere in the frame, then it is a problem with the transfer. If it is a problem everywhere and it is worse in the center, then it is both.

Regards,

Steve Schaffer

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Steve Schaffer
The effect does seem more pronounced in the center of the frame, less so on the sides. I've seen a similar effect on several 50s and even 60s films.

Cleopatra, for example, has a bit of convex curvature on vertical lines toward the edges of the image.

oscar_merkx

Senior HTF Member
I am waiting for my copy to arrive tomorrow or the day after and have fun watching this for the first time

:emoji_thumbsup:

soop.spoon

Supporting Actor
Similar "far actor" comments were made when the Journey To The Center Of The Earth DVD was released. Did these two movies use the same photographic processes?

GerardoHP

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Gerardo Paron
Yes, except that by the time JTTCOTE was produced, Fox was using improved Bausch & Lomb optics that were not available when Leagues was shot.

I have seen Leagues many times in the theater and always felt the picture looked fat. I haven't seen this DVD yet but I wouldn't be surprised if the distortions are the ones that are inherent to early CinemaScope optics.

Craig Robertson

Supporting Actor
i watched Leagues last night and there are some scenes, especially early on, where it the actors look noticeably "fat". i only noticed since i've read this thread prior to viewing and was looking for it. the degree of distortion is right at the point that you may or may not notice.

RolandL

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Roland Lataille
Comparison of Marty's picture

and the DVD

Looks like the DVD has more picture info on the left but less on the right. Also a little is trimmed from the bottom.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation554
Recent bookmarks