What's new

20,000 Leagues Under the Sea DVD to have TONS of extras (1 Viewer)

Haden

Supporting Actor
What's the rumored release date for 20k Leagues at this point? Or is it just "2003" ?

Seth Paxton

Senior HTF Member
Sleeping Beauty, 20K Leagues, and Lion King (that's the Platnum title for 2003, right?).

Right there makes a damn fine release year for Disney by my standards, especially considering how apparently solid we can expect all 3 titles to be.

Adam_S

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Adam_S
20,000 Leagues under the sea will be coming out on May 13 according to amazon.com.
that means that May 13 will probably be the day for this years wave of vault disney releases, which have been rumored to include Mary Poppins, Treasure Island, and The Love Bug. Currently amazon has no information up on any of these titles. Last year amazon was the one to break the news on the vault disney wave so my guess is that they are accurate on this as well. However they haven't posted full specs as they did last year. since this will be a vault disney full on special edition two disc release, I fully expect it will be OAR so I'm not worried on that front. I personally can't wait to get this release, and the other vault disney releases, the last four from may 2001 were some of the best discs of the year in my opinion.
Adam

soop.spoon

Supporting Actor
Very cool. Can't wait to get confirmation on the other titles in this wave.
I eagerly await the day Island At The Top Of The World gets some special treatment.

Jeff Ulmer

Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
I agree that the previous Vault Disney titles were excellent, and if they keep up the type of presentation with future titles in the line, I will be buying all of them, somehow.

GlennH

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Glenn
OK What's the depth in modern terms, mlles, feet or metres?
league (n): A unit of distance equal to 3.0 statute miles (4.8 kilometers).

HOWEVER: I believe that "20000 Leagues" refers to a distance travelled and not depth.

DavidBL

Stunt Coordinator
HOWEVER: I believe that "20000 Leagues" refers to a distance travelled and not depth.
I sure hope so, since 96,000 kilometers under the sea would plunge you all the way through the earth and almost 1/4 of the way to the moon out the back side!

Seth Paxton

Senior HTF Member
I believe that Peter was joking, or will give him the benefit of doubt at least.

I assumed he was referencing the classic Sat Night Live sketch regarding said film. A hilarious bit in which Nemo tries quite unsuccessfully to explain the idea of a "league" to everyone else on the sub, not unlike the last couple of posts in this thread.

James L White

Supporting Actor
and to think I once thought leagues meant sports were being played under water, Not kidding of course I was only about 5 when I thought that
On topic-I can't wait for this, I sure Disney does this film justice. :)

Walt Riarson

Supporting Actor
Anybody know definitely what 4 Vault Disney titles will be released this year? I know 20,000 Leagues is a definite, but are the other three (Mary Poppins, The Love Bug, and Treasure Island) definites or fan speculation?

I'd personally like to see an Apple Dumpling Gang Vault Disney title. For whatever reason, Disney released The Apple Dumpling Gang Rides Again before releasing the original. I always assumed it was because the first one would end up being a Vault Disney title. Anyone know?

Adam_S

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Adam_S
I also hope you're right on the Apple Dumpling Gang (and have thought the same thing). I believe I've seen all those other three rumored at Digital bits (maybe not treasure island) as possible vault disney releases. The one I'm almost positive will be a vault Disney is "the Love Bug" I seem to remember hearing that one mentioned almost always alongside 20k Leagues since last june/may. the mary poppins rumor has been popping around since a little before lowry digital mentioned they were restoring it I believe.

Adam

Brandon Conway

captveg
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Brandon Conway
Amazon.com has listed Treasure Island for a 4/29/03 release.
This could mean two things, IMO.
One - It's a Vault Disney title being released a couple weeks earlier than the rest for cross-promotion sales help with Treasure Planet, also being release 4/29/03. The $29.99 MSRP is consistant with this line of thinking.
Two - It's a "Walt Disney Film Classics" release, like The Absent-Minded Professor. Now, if this is the case, Treasure Island is a color film with a 1.33:1 OAR, so the only concern would be the transfer quality.

Andre Bijelic

Stunt Coordinator
Actually, isn't "20 000 Leagues Under the Sea" one of those rare titles that was shot in BOTH the Cinemascope and Academy ratios simultaneously because so few theaters were equipped with scope lenses?

If so, then both widscreen and full frame versions would truly be OAR.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks