$20,000 for a CD player?! Who would buy such a thing?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Keir H, Jul 31, 2002.

1. Keir H

Keir H Second Unit

Browsing one of the many local HT stores in Houston today, I noticed in the "Linn Room" that they had a brochure for a Linn (I forget the name) CD player that's listed for $20K after my investigation. Now, I did not look very much into "specs" but I would hope that this player has DAC's that are on par with something like the Theta Extreme DACs and plus be upgradeable along with having upsampling ability to name a few things I know of. Is this the cd player to get to end all players? I thought turntables/tube preamps were where it's at for audiophiles and the like?? I'm sure a select few would spend the money for this though....like the Bentley owners of the world..[​IMG]
    Oh and if it sounds as good as any of the other Linn gear, I'm sure it's fantastic, but for $20,000??? That's another mans dream theater!

2. matthew_rm

matthew_rm Second Unit

If I had the money I would. What else it money for? Spending and that is it. When you save, it's so you can spend more on one thing. No one eats money[​IMG] If someone has $20000 for a CD player, then I would hope they could shell out a few bucks for a cheese burger[​IMG]
    Mabey I could lease it? LOL I would rather a newer car then a CD player. With a budget like that for a CD player, just think of what someone would have for there speakers, wires, pre amp, monoblocs, and..and..chairs
    [​IMG]

3. Dave Crigna

Dave Crigna Stunt Coordinator

The same guy who buys the 15,000 vpi turntable with the matching 5,000 cartridge mated to the 10,000+ kimber cabling to the 75,000 woth of tube preamp/amp combo.Damn almost forgot the 50,000+ speakers.[​IMG]

4. Jack Kelsey

Jack Kelsey Agent

Lease a cheeseburger?

5. Ray Tsui

Ray Tsui Stunt Coordinator

Why not? It *is* one of the best players available but of course it is a case of diminishing returns. The one review I read had the audiophile declaring it was one of the few CD players that made regular CD's listenable (obviously a diehard analog reviewer).
    If I had a $100,000 to blow on a sound system, sure I would buy it [​IMG] Money should be spent eventually right?

6. Mike Broadman

Mike Broadman Producer

Here's a scary thought: Fabio has a stereo system that is almost worth $1 million.

7. Phil Nichols

Phil Nichols Second Unit

Krell sells a fascinating powered sub-woofer that puts out 600+ watts of pure Class A over it's entire range of frequencies. Weighs over 400 lbs. with 1 inch thick aluminum cabinet walls.
    Who in the world needs their sub-woofing to be Class A - but Krell offers it for extremely big bucks.
    (Of course you need several of them in your pure Class A 7-channel surround system - starting with Class A coming out of your DVD player - now there's some more big bucks.) [​IMG]

8. Phil A

Phil A Producer

Phil
    I've heard the Linn CD-12 many times and it is a beautiful piece. Understand that a big co. like Linn can put the resources together to produce such a statement piece. Many manuf. do this and make flagship products. Along the way they learn things and incorporate it into other products. I'm sure they don't sell a ton of them. My local dealer has probably sold 2 or 3 over the last couple of years. As with anything in high-end audio, the higher up one moves up the chain, the cost is not nearly proporionate to the improvement. I'm sure no one thinks that the CD-12 is 6 times better than their $3.5k player or that their $3.5k player is twice as good as the model half that price.

9. Eugene Hsieh

Eugene Hsieh Supporting Actor

10. Rob Rodier

Rob Rodier Supporting Actor

What about the Audio Note Gaku-On (sp) single ended tube monoblocks? I think that they are 7-10wpc. A pair of these wil set you back $275,000!

-rob

11. Keir H

Keir H Second Unit

7-10 watts for how much?? Hs anyone figured out how much that is watt per dollar [​IMG] That makes me laugh. I guess they (engineers) say "hmmm let's see...how bout we set a price of $275,000 Charles?" haha...too funny.
    All in all, I guess it's relative to your income/budget.

12. Frank_S

Frank_S Supporting Actor

13. Jack Briggs

Jack Briggs Executive Producer

Having come to home theater via the wallet-draining (and patience-straining) voodoo world of so-called "high-end audio," I can tell you who purchases Linn equipment such as this: those who have been brainwashed by the Harry Pearson/Abso!ute Sound brand of mystical hi-fi.

Hell, I forked over money on a Linn-Sondek LP12 turntable, Linn Ittok tonearm, and various moving-coil cartridges.

There's nothing wrong per se with a $20K CD player other than its obscene price. And its audible performance, in a double-blind listening test, will not be distinguishable from a garden-variety mass-produced player--no matter what the high-end audio pundits and religionists say.

14. Eugene Hsieh

15. Jack Briggs

Jack Briggs Executive Producer

There, there, fellas. No offense seemed intended in that statement, so let's let that one rest! [​IMG]

16. mike_decock

mike_decock Supporting Actor

17. Eugene Hsieh

18. MickeS

MickeS Producer

If you spend $20,0000 on a CD player I think that you either

A) is extremely rich and really don't care what it sounds like, you just bought it because you could, and you'll enjoy it tremendously, or

B) is an audiophile who sold you car because you had read about this piece of equipment and HAD TO HAVE IT, and you'll end up listening to a few reference CD's over and over again, and ultimately end up more dissatisfied than you were originally, especially when you realize that this thing won't reach its full potential if you don't have those new tube amps you read about... hmmm... maybe you could sell your house and move into a studio...

/Mike

19. Chas_T

Chas_T Supporting Actor

20. KeithH

KeithH Lead Actor

I have read many comments stating the the Linn CD12 is the best CD player ever made. Now, I don't know how many people making this statement have heard it and compared it to many other top players. Some may be merely jumping on the bandwagon. Like anything else ultra-high-end, the people who will buy the CD12 are those who can afford it and who want the best or what is perceived as the best. Some who buy it may not even care if it beats a $5000 CD player. They may not even do the comparison. Some with that kind of money to blow will buy it based on reputation. It's like, "It's supposed to be the best and I can afford it, so I'll buy it."