1. Sign-up to become a member, and most of the ads you see will disappear. It only takes 30 seconds to sign up, so join the discussion today!
    Dismiss Notice

2 way, vs 2 1/2 way and 3 way

Discussion in 'Speakers & Subwoofers' started by Garrett V, Feb 20, 2004.

1. Garrett V

Garrett V Agent

As my endless search for new HT speakers continues...

I have noticed that a lot of speakers in my price range that I am looking for are 2 way, the Paradigms are 2 1/2 way the the Boston Acoustics VR2 speakers and center channel are 3 way. With a 3 way will you necessarily get more of a differential in sound?? Is 3 way automatically better than say 2 way?? Or is 3 way not that important for HT which is my main concern. Thanks.

2. Jesse Sharrow

Jesse Sharrow Supporting Actor

Basically what a 3 way does is it smooths the transition in frequency's. Ok that sounded confusing... let me put it this way.

If you have a sine sweep from 20hz-20khz on a 2 way speaker you may hear a gap between the woofer (6 1/2) and tweeter (1in). Because the tweeter can only play from 20khz-4000hz but the woofer plays 1000hz-20hz. You have a gap from 1000hz-4000hz. A smaller midrange fills that in.

3. Andy Goldstein

Andy Goldstein Stunt Coordinator

a properly designed 2-way speaker system will not have a gap anywhere in the midrange. or anywhere else for that matter. if a speaker has a gap in its response it was poorly designed. i have been running large advents since 1976, and my real-time analyser shows a nice flat system response.

a 3-way system might buy you more power handling, but, assuming similar components, will cost you more for drivers and crossovers.

ag.

4. Dustin B

Dustin B Producer

5. Philip>L

Philip>L Stunt Coordinator

Generally, a 2 way speaker that costs the same as a 3 way speaker will be a better speaker than the 3 way.