1. Visit this thread for your chance to win a selection of Lionsgate action films on UV!
    Dismiss Notice

2-way or 3-way speakers??

Discussion in 'Speakers' started by Luis Torres, Jun 11, 2003.

1. Luis Torres

Luis Torres Extra

Hello everyone,
    I tried to do a search but couldn't get anything on it. What's the difference? I'm going to upgrade from my sony floor speakers & sony surround & center. Is it worth the cost of going from 2 way to 3 way,
    thanks in advance,
    Luis.

2. Chris Tsutsui

Chris Tsutsui Screenwriter

The difference is the 2-way has a tweeter and a midrange and the 3-way has a tweeter, a midrange, and a woofer.

Remember there isn't a "right" choice in the two. The 3-ways will generally play deeper and more bass. They also have 3 components that have to blend with eachother so the sound quality can be reduced due to more internal components. (If the crossover components are cheap, it can really show)

2-ways are more simple, usually less load on the amplifier than 3-ways, not as much bass, but can be more detailed because it's only 2 drivers integrated and only 1 crossover point.

I'd say that if you have the power, and like the volume loud get the 3-way. If you are concerned with sound quality and not so much bass then look at 2-ways.

A 2-way with a subwoofer works too. That's 2.1 though and if you don't have a decent subwoofer, your bass may not go well with the 2-ways.

If you're upgrading your Sony speakers, I suggest trying a different brand like JBL, Athena, Klipsch, Energy, Polk, etc.. Upgrading Sony to Sony may not get you a whole lot.

3. Dustin B

Dustin B Producer

4. Luis Torres

Luis Torres Extra

THANKS GUYS!!!!

5. John Garcia

John Garcia Executive Producer

John
    How about 2-1/2 way...[​IMG]

6. Lew Crippen

Lew Crippen Executive Producer

Just to add to Chris’ note, going to a 3-way speaker from a 2-way is not necessarily an upgrade. There are plenty of ‘monitor’ and ‘reference’ speakers-suitable for 2-channel use without a sub that are 2-way speakers. And these are well-regarded by most critical listeners.

This is true also for HT use, although here the addition of a sub is usual.

Some lines even mix the two approaches, depending on the speaker. For example the Onix Rocket and Reference models are all 2-way, with the exception that they have one center channel speaker that has a 3-way configuration. And it is hard to draw a value conclusion even here. For example the least expensive center (RSC100 @ $349) has three drivers (two mid-range/woofers, one tweeter) in a 2-way configuration), the more expensive model (RCS200 @ $599) has four drivers (two woofers, one mid-range, one tweeter) in a three-way configuration and the reference center channel (Reference 100 @$950) has the three-driver, 2-way configuration.

So don’t upgrade just to go from a 2-way to a 3-way configuration. Do it because you want better sound. Decide what sounds good, regardless of 2-way or 3-way considerations.