2 things....how to get signal to sub...and size to cut holes for tempest....

Discussion in 'Home Theater Projects' started by Brett Creider, Oct 21, 2003.

1. Brett Creider

Brett Creider Stunt Coordinator

Ok so I have the amp (PE 250watt Remote) with me...the driver (15" Tempest) is due in Friday because UPS sucks and I can build the box tomorrow...

I was planning the bottom (downfiring) to be 2 3/4" boards thick because I heard the tempest flush mounts like that because it's 3/4" thick...so...what size should I cut the outer hole and what size should I cut the inner hole where it screws into?

And the other thing...I have a Sony 110watt x 2 HiFi receiver driving my 1"/3"/8" Sony mains...but I want to know how to integrate my sub into all this. It's all ran off the computer and it has a dedicated sub out but then it wants to control crossover and stuff which I don't want it to do because from what I've tested with the 10" it sucks at it....

So can I run the RCAs from the minijack on the comp to the sub in, then run the Receiver from the amp's RCA outs? Or will I have to do it through the speaker wire wiring the receiver > sub > mains

2. ColinM

ColinM Cinematographer

3. Brett Creider

How bout wiring it up with the mains and stuff?

4. Brett Creider

I thought this would a pretty simple question...

5. ColinM

ColinM Cinematographer

From PE's own description -

"and a line level output with high pass filter for loop-through to the main power amp."

Looks good to me!

6. Brett Creider

Well I started cutting the box...jig saw broke 4 blades from it hopping near the end of the cut...all I had...

But all I have left to CUT is the hole for amp, hole for remote, and holes for driver...then I have to cut out legs and braces but it's all drawn out on the MDF and ready to cut. I weighed the MDF too, it's ~120lbs total...+ the 15lbs for amp and 20lbs for driver....weighs as much as I do lol.

7. Michael Merrell

Michael Merrell Stunt Coordinator

Geez...get a circular saw for the panel cuts (if a table saw isn't in the equation), and a router for the circles (though a jigsaw will do the trick if that's what you've got). MDF is hard stuff.

--Mike

8. Brett Creider

I had a circular saw but I have no clamps and no table. I tried it sitting on cinder blocks like I was cutting with the jig saw....

Let's just say there's going to be a lot of sanding on that cut.

I have a friend with a router and I can get some more jigsaw blades to cut what's left (6x3" legs, 24x3" braces) tomorrow...hopefully I will have everything set and ready to go by tomorrow and when I come home friday have a driver waiting for me, put it in, and crank it up.

You think it's possible? I still have to cut out the inner and outer hole for the driver with a router, I still have to cut the legs and braces with jig saw but it's already drawn out ready to cut, and I still have to put it all together with screws and glue then some caulk all the way around...