What's new

2 Subwoofers (1 Viewer)

RobertDO

Auditioning
Can I run a passive subwoofer off of my powered sub. If so, how should I hook it up.
Thanks

Eric Hargrove

Stunt Coordinator
Hi Robert,

If you could rig it to work, you would probably have to hook the passive to it in series to make it work. It probably wouldn't be pretty and you most likely would not like the result. You would most likely end up up with phase issues and most likely worse bass than with the single powered unit.

RobertDO

Auditioning
What is the best way to hook up 2 subs. Can I put a Y connector on the receiver sub-out and run 2 powered subs from it?

SethH

Senior HTF Member

Yep, that would work. Also, you could use the Y connector with one active and one passive -- you'd just have to put a power amp in front of the passive sub.

John Garcia

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
If your receiver is flexible and allows you to still have a sub with your mains set to large, then you can connect the passive sub to the main speaker level outs, either in parallel or with two separate connections, and use the sub pre-out for the active sub (with the mains set to large, sub=yes, and LFE+mains) . The thing is, you will draw more current from your receiver this way because it will be handling lower frequencies driving the passive sub.

John S

Senior HTF Member
Other wise.. go right to the speaker of the powerd one, and do parallel to the other passive subs speaker.

Beware, this is only really acceptable, as long as your speakers are the same Impeadance, and the half impeadance doesn't go below the amp in the powered subs low rating. (not a very good chance, most subs have 4 ohm drivers, already at the lowest rated load for the amp)

A second amp is the better solution indeed, by far.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks