What's new

2 subwoofer questions (1 Viewer)

VinnieJC

Grip
I have recently bought a Yamaha YST-SW215. (I have a modest HT) It’s a nice little sub with good pop. I was thinking of possibly getting another (Best Buy has them for $99.00). My question is with how it would be connected to my receiver combined with the other.

Would it work if I connected a sub cable from the pre-out on the receiver, used a Y cable and split the connection, with one going to one sub and one to the other sub?

Also, is it better to utilize both line-in inputs on the sub itself (using a Y Cable) ? I have read where there is no difference, and in other cases, it’s the optimal setup.

Thanks in advance.

SteveAZ

Auditioning
Most recievers only have one sub output. That is where you would plug in your Y-adapter. Then you can run the two sub cables to each sub.

Using both line inputs really only adds voltage to the input signal; the same as increasing the sub out level in the receiver. There is no gain in sub performance by using both inputs. The only instance I would suggest it, is if you are having trouble getting a strong enough signal to turn on the sub.

Wayne A. Pflughaupt

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Wayne
Last question first:
You could do it that way, but it’s a waste of cabling. That’s because the two inputs of all subs are internally summed. Thus, since you already have a cable going from the receiver to one input of the first sub, all you need to do is run a cable from the other input to the second sub.

Regards,
Wayne A. Pflughaupt

VinnieJC

Grip
>>You could do it that way, but it’s a waste of cabling. That’s because the two inputs of all subs are internally summed. Thus, since you already have a cable going from the receiver to one input of the first sub, all you need to do is run a cable from the other input to the second sub.

Wayne A. Pflughaupt

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Wayne
I’ve never tried it, but it should work. Even if it doesn’t, no loss. You can use your “y” splitter the same way – at the sub end, not the receiver end: Plug it into the first sub, and run the other side to the second sub.

Regards,
Wayne A. Pflughaupt

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks