What's new

2 Subs ? (1 Viewer)

Bob Sheen

Stunt Coordinator
Hello everyone,

What would be the advantages and pros/cons of running 2 identical subs ?

Can this be done safely by using a "y" splitter off of the 1 LFE ?

Thanks for your help,

Bob

Martin G

Second Unit
A splitter works great for connecting two subs.

Generally when you put two matching subs in the same corner you will get about another 6 dB of headroom. This can be really useful when trying to fill out a large room.

Bob Sheen

Stunt Coordinator
Thanks for the quick response.

I'm using a Paradigm PDR10. Is it better to use the same sub (another PDR10) ? or can i use a bigger sub from Paradigm ? or even a bigger sub from another manufacturer ?

Tks, Bob

Dustin B

Senior HTF Member
A single Paradigm PW2200 would extend lower and go louder than a pair of PDR10 subs. I would recommend going to a higher end sub before adding a second PDR10.

Some options that would outgun a pair of PDR10 subs would be.

-Adire Dharman

-Acoustic Visions costum built or DIY flat kit (everything is precut, you just assemble)

-SVS PCi/CS (+ and Ultra series going even further beyond)

-Hsu VTF3

-Paradigm PW2200

Final option would be if you have some wood working skills and tools. You can build a sub pretty cheap that would so far destroy a PDR10 it's really quite funny. I used to own a PDR10 and replaced it with a DIY Tempest Sonosub. You can see it by following the link in my signature. You could build my Tempest for less than $800CDN now. And for around $900-950CDN you could build an Adire allignment version from an Acoustic Visions flat kit.

BrianWoerndle

Supporting Actor
I currently own a Paradigm PS-1000. Eventually I want to get a second sub (probably an SVS). But I want to connect the PS-1000 to the rear speakers and set them to large. Then use the second sub for the fronts and LFE. That way I get a much fuller sound from my rear surrounds.

Dustin B

Senior HTF Member
Brian, I'd advise against doing that. Having the PS1000 going at the same time as a better sub that you spoke of in the other thread will just muddy up the output from the new one. Plus having subs in different places in the room leads to all kinds of cancellation and placement issues.

The PS1000 sells on ebay for around $300. I'd sell it and add that money to your budget for the new sub. A more capable good sub, in my opinion will always be better than a good sub and a poor sub (even with optimal placement of both). Two equivalent sound quality subs is a different story.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks