1. We suffered a brief outage this morning when our host noticed that HTF needed to be moved to a different server due to a hardware failure. That work is now complete. Please post in the feedback area if you have any issues.
    Dismiss Notice

2 subs in 1 box or 2?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Anthony Sa, Jan 11, 2002.

1. Anthony Sa

Anthony Sa Agent

I have officially gone bass crazy. My current plan, if I can make it clean, is to put 2 1803s and 2 pr-18s (if i can find them, suggestions on where to buy some?) in a my HT. My HT is just a corner of my basement and is completely wide open so the sound has a lot of space to go everywhere. I can not decide whether to put all of the subs into 1 rather large box. Basically a 40''W x 40''L x 24''H box with a 20'' W x 20'' x 24'' H section cut out. In the box (where the cut out is) would be the pr-18's and on the outsides of the cutout would be the 1803's each with a 8'' in diameter by about 40'' port (got to figure that out exactly), it should be tuned to about 18hz. Now that is my current idea and seems the best, 1 large box with everything in it. Should i go ahead with this or set up 2 boxes? BTW. this will be powered by a QSC RMS 2450 (I might actually change the subs because I want to run the amp @ 4 ohm but will not be able to with these subs).

2. Greg_R

Greg_R Screenwriter

Greg
    I'm a little confused here... are you combining a ported and passive radiator design? I would just build one or the other (ported or passive radiator). As for 18" PRs, http://www.stryke.com sells them weighted to your specifications (you should call about availability prior to ordering.. it's a 1 man operation). You'll probably want the dual spider version (to hold more mass). You should also consider using two 18" PRs for each 1803 driver (due to it's extreme displacement capability). At any rate, make sure that the PRs are opposite of each other to balance their forces.
    I recently completed a similar project (dual Stryke HE15.2s) and would recommend the two enclosure approach. This will give you more placement flexibility as well as make them easier (relatively) to move. FWIW, each of my completed 15.2s weighed over 200lbs...
    Check out the DIY/Advanced forum on this board for design suggestions & help (there's a lot of 1803 talk right now)...

3. Anthony Sa

Anthony Sa Agent

Ported and PR's... I figured that they would work fine together, giving me much more output than one of the other. I guess that this is not the case? I would much rather opt for the ported design if I had to choose either and I believe that is exaclty what I will do now that you have mentioned it. Thank you for that, saved me time and money! [​IMG]. I have been watching the the 1803 threads on the DIY section have been completely enlightened about the use of sonotubes. My only question about that is, where exactly do I buy the tubes? I love the idea of little to no bracing and I think they looks SLICK!

4. Dustin B

Dustin B Producer

Easiest place to find them is a concrete supply place. Just look up concrete supply or concrete contractors in your yellow pages and phone around for a place that has the size you want and the best price.

Keep in mind some places only allow you to buy full 12' lengths of the stuff. Also there are different brands, some of which use much thinner and less stiff material to construct them, so make sure you actually see what the places around you have before you buy.