2 subs - how to use

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by JayDaniel, Aug 22, 2002.

1. JayDaniel

JayDaniel Stunt Coordinator

I'm buying a new house in two weeks, and it has a dedicated HT area in the basement - 12' x 16'. I say area, and not room, because the 12X16 area opens up in the back to a much larger u-shaped rec room (i.e. no back wall in the HT area -only 3 walls).

I now have two 8", 100 watt subs that I'd like to use in this HT area. What is the best way to use two subs? Stacked in a corner, placed in diff. corners, other? And how would I properly adjust/calibrate them?

Also, one has a single line level input, the other sub has L/R line level inputs. How would I hook these up w/ Y adapters from my sub-out from my receiver?

As info, the walls are wood, floors carpeted, and a drop ceiling (8' high).

Thanks.

JayDaniel

2. steve nn

steve nn Cinematographer

Use a Y at your receiver and run two cables. Run one cable into the one sub and then use a Y at the end of your other cable into your other sub. You can most likely just run the cable into the other with out the Y. You will get more gain with many subs though using the Y and your auto on-off will work better. You are going to calibrate so not a big issue. You might not need to work your sub as hard though with the Y. You will have to experiment with placement and see what YOU like best. This can be a hot topic. I have mine stacked but I like other options to. Maximum SPL stacked. This does not sound like your intention. You might want to part them and start there? Congrads on you new Dedicated HT, sounds good.

3. steve nn

steve nn Cinematographer

WHOOPS! I forgot to mention daisy-chaining them to. You run a sub cable from one sub to the next if you have sub out on one of them?

4. Rob Rodier

Rob Rodier Supporting Actor

I have heard of some people running two subs stacked with one running out of phase.

-rob

5. Manuel Delaflor

Manuel Delaflor Supporting Actor

Jay,

Most 8" subs reach about 40Hz with authority and 35Hz is its practical limit. The best of them will have a limit of around 30Hz. With this in mind, you can play positioning below or side to side to your mains, or you can put your two subs together.

Now, to find out wich position will be best for you buy an SPL Meter and test their volume with test tones. The more flat your lectures the better.

6. JayDaniel

JayDaniel Stunt Coordinator

Yeah, I plan to calibrate. I have before with just one, using the S&V disc and a Rad Shack meter.

Given that they are 8" subs, I'm wondering if the higher output of stacking would be better than in diff. corners? Sounds like the benefit of them in diff. corners would be a more seamless soundstage (i.e. less localization of the bass).

I won't be able to try for 2-3 weeks, but wanted to get input now.

Thanks.

JayDaniel

7. Greg_R

Greg_R Screenwriter

Greg