2 Sub Choices

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by KyleY, Apr 9, 2002.

1. KyleY

KyleY Extra

Hi all,

After reading the discussions here, it sounds like an SVS or Hsu sub would be best for me. I'm a little skeptical in buying them though b/c I've never heard either of them myself. Could someone point me to some independent reviews that directly compare either of these to other subs? My price range is about $300-$550, so I've been looking at the Hsu VTF-2 and the SVS 25-31 PCi. For my price range, are these the subs I should be looking at? These will go with a Denon 3802 and Klipsch RF3 II speakers. They will be used about 75%/25% for HT/music (rock). My main questions are:

1. Will both of these match my Klipsch speakers well?

2. Are these both great subs in terms of quality / clarity or just loudness? I'm not as interested in the sheer volume as the clarity, range, accuracy, etc. Would one be better than the other in that respect?

3. Aside from my Denon receiver (and wires), I don't need anything else to power either of these, correct?

4. Can the SVS only be purchased from SVS? I'd like to find a better price as it is a little pricey for my taste...

5. Are there any differences in build quality (I want something that's going to last)? Just looking at Hsu Research's site kinda scares me off - very unprofessional...

Anything else I should be considering with these? I've gotten the impression that SVS is better than Hsu, but does that apply when I'm considering this relatively low-end SVS compared to the VTF-2? Thanks in advance for any help,

--Kyle

2. BryanZ

BryanZ Screenwriter

1. Should be fine. Klipsch has a forum on there site and you should be able to ask others how well the subs blend in with the speakers.
    2. YEAH!!!! (I've got the SVS 20-39CS [recently upgraded to CSi [​IMG]] and it performs wonderfully!) Can't say I've heard the VTF-2 but it has gotten rave reviews.
    3. Correct, as long as you get the PC model of the SVS and not the CS model.
    4. Try getting a used one. [​IMG] However they are a direct only company.
    5. Both have been around a while with HSU being around a couple more years than SVS. It is unlikely either company will go away anytime soon.
    You may want to consider the Aperion Audio SW-12 and the Adire Audio Dharman but that is about as far as I would go other than a used Paradigm Servo 15 or PW-2200.

3. Chris_O

Chris_O Agent

Kyle,
    I just got my first sub last week but I did a lot of reading on various forums before I made my puchase. Everything that I have read states that the HSU and SVS are great subs. I didn't find any professional comparisons between the two but I found several individuals that said they compaired the two subs and the HSU has the better price with an edge in performance going to the SVS PC. That was the old SVS PC and the New SVS PCi is cheaper, has a better driver, and a more powerfull amp.
    I went with the New SVS PCi and I was a little weary about buying a sub that I haven't listened to but I found nothing but great reviews about SVS products so I took a chance. They do have a 45 day return policy also, if you are not satisfied. I can say first hand that the SVS PCi is an excellent sub. The sound is very clear and tight. I have watched movies and listened to music and it is a great performer for both. My room is about 14ft by 18ft with a 5ft opening to my kitchen on one side, and with the subs gain only at half it can still shake my couch during scenes with a lot of LFE. I did listen to some Paradigm subs (PW1000 & PW1200) and the SVS has a lot clean sounding bass.
    The construction of my SVS is excellent. It is well put together, nice looking, and even the packaging was done with care. If you have done any reading about SVS you should have seen that the customer service is excellent. Check out this recent thread if you want to see what kind of service they offer http://www.hometheaterforum.com/htfo...threadid=61773
    I hope you find the sub that is right for you, I think either of these subs would be a great choice.
    Chris
    [​IMG]

4. DanaA

DanaA Screenwriter

Hello Kyle and welcome to the forum. In my opinion, these are two great subs you are considering. I too own Klipsch reference series speakers and my Hsu VTF-2 works great with them. I've never sensed any problems with their reliability or build quality whatsoever. Nonetheless, I really would steer you toward the SVS. Why??? They may cost somewhat more, but, even though I've never heard them myself, the respected forum voices generally say that they are worth the money. And secondly, I'm going to link you to a thread which demonstrates how unbelievably they stand behind their product.
    Link:http://www.hometheaterforum.com/htfo...threadid=61773
    Please don't take this as a knock on Hsu. My Hse is by far the best sub I've ever had and stands up to whatever I throw at it, but a company's character, as evidenced by the link provided really gotta stand for something. I'd like to note that I've never had any adverse experiences dealing with Hsu, but it seems SVS is something special in this regard.

5. Barry Barnes

Barry Barnes Stunt Coordinator

FWIW I obsessed on reading about suboofers for quite awhile and 3 choices consistently ranked at the very top for sound quality, value, and customer service.

1. SVS 20-39

2. HSU VTF-2 (the new VTF-3 is supposed to be even better)

3. Adire Dharman

From everything I read, the SVS and Dharman were pretty on par with each other while the HSU didn't quite have the same output capabilities, but was extremely musical and a great buy. The HSU was also on Stereophiles "A List" of recommended components.

I ended up buying the SVS 20-39 and it's just as amazing as everyone says. I couldn't be happier with the sound. Unfortunately, my Wife is not crazy about the looks...

If I can't get her off that, then my next choice will probably be the newest HSU VTF-3 model. It looks like an awesome sub, even if it is a bit more money. I hate to lose the shipping if I have to send one of the subs back, but that's the risk you take buying sight unseen... Still you get a much better sub for less money overall. If anyone is interested I will post a review of the HSU if in fact we end up trying one out...

6. Brian Fellmeth

Brian Fellmeth Supporting Actor

In narrowing your choices to these two, you've already won the battle. An SVS 25-31 PC is a little more expensive for a little more performance. Its as simple as that.

7. KyleY

KyleY Extra

Thanks for all your thoughts. I still haven't made a final decision. Price and the wife's thoughts on the appearance will be determining factors... She's suddenly not happy about having *any* subwoofer taking up more room [​IMG] Both do sound like great subs though, and if price were equal and the size and appearance were equal, I'd go with the SVS for sure. Since they aren't, it's a tough decision.
    In a separate post I'm going to ask about where to put this sub (partially due to my wife's complaints)... Thanks again,
    --Kyle