2 Story Wall fish....HARD??

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Rives Elmore, Mar 7, 2003.

1. Rives Elmore

Rives Elmore Stunt Coordinator

I just moved into our first home and was curious as to how difficult it was to do a 2 story wall fish. Basically I will have to go up one wall 2 stories, across the attic and then down the other wall (for each speaker).

Is this difficult to do, I have the necassary hardware (barring extended drill bit for getting past middle section).

Thanks

P.S any alternatives...i.e under baseboards etc etc.

2. Todd Shore

Todd Shore Stunt Coordinator

Please elaborate on your houses construction. Two story on slab, for instance.

Going up two stories is going to be hard because you will run into obstacles between floors.

If you have joists in the floor or ceiling of the room you are trying to wire, which way do they run? A stud detector can tell you that. If either the floor or ceiling joists run so that the stud cavities cross the room the same direction you need to wire, then the job isn't that hard.

If they run perpendicular, then it comes down to what obstacles you have on the adjoining walls. You can wire under baseboards, or if you have carpet you can often tuck wire down between the carpet tack strip and the wall. This would work for smaller gauge wire (16 gauge).

3. Todd Shore

Todd Shore Stunt Coordinator

Have you thought about adding soffets?

4. Pete Mazz

Pete Mazz Supporting Actor

Adding crown molding is a very neat way to get around a room. The molding creates a cavity between it and the wall and ceiling. You could fish the wires up the wall and pull them out at the top of the wall, tack them into the wall/ceiling corner, run around the room, and poke back into the wall wherever you need them.

[​IMG]

Pete

5. Shawn Solar

Shawn Solar Supporting Actor

Be damn near impossible. Though nothing is fully impossible.[​IMG] What you want to do is run wires to the other side of the HT by going "up and over". One of the only ways I see this happening is if by chance you have a lot of cold air returns that go up to the attic. one behind the stereo, one one each wall to where the speakers are. Other wise you would more than likely have to cut the wall and patch in a few places.

It is very difficult to drill in a straight line inside walls. which means you better hope you don't come through. Outside walls almost always have insulation. If you have an old farm house, I would not even bother. No telling what is in there. Newer homes are a lot more predictable. You don't have a crawl space or basement at all? that would be a better option. If you just needed to go up in the attic I would say do it. But to come back down is the hard part. A little more info on the house would help give a better idea. door and window locations and if it is outside walls or enstacked inside walls. and age of the home.