2 somewhat obscure 70's films being released by MVD.

Discussion in 'DVD' started by Jay E, Mar 19, 2004.

1. Jay E

Jay E Cinematographer

On 5/25, Music Video Distributors will be releasing The Super Cops and Hickey & Boggs on DVD for $14.95.

I haven't seen Super Cops since I was a kid but I remember enjoying the adventures of Batman & Robin immensely. I wonder how time will treat my recollections. Leonard Maltin gives it ***1/2 stars so maybe it'll hold up.

I've always wanted to see Hickey & Boggs, as I've heard some good things about it. I'm sure that those who like "I Spy" will be interested as it teams up Robert Culp & Bill Cosby (Culp directed the film & Walter Hill wrote the screenplay).

I'm hoping both films will be released widescreen but I'm not too aware of how MVD treats its non-music product so I'll keep my fingers crossed.

2. Jeff Ulmer

Jeff Ulmer Producer

The MVD stuff I've seen has been pretty mixed. They act as a distributor for a lot of budget or indie lines. Some of what I've seen looks like quicktime movies (Japanese cinema).

3. Jay E

Jay E Cinematographer

4. Conrad_SSS

Conrad_SSS Second Unit

These are bootlegs, folks...[​IMG]

5. Jay E

Jay E Cinematographer

How do you know that Conrad?

6. Brian Thibodeau

Brian Thibodeau Supporting Actor

"That's that makes them so dangerous."

The only people making obvious and visible typos like that and not really caring about it are the bootleggers. And surely there are better source art materials with which to create the sleeves.

7. Jeff Ulmer

Jeff Ulmer Producer

I've seen official Disney promotional art with just as glaring typos on them, like this Kim Possible one, which should read "stitch" not "sitch", which almost looks like "bitch":

[​IMG]

In fact, I have seen release product from major studios with glaring typos as well. Typos aren't necessarily a sign of bootlegs, and to my knowledge, although some of their product is pretty low buck, MVD is not known to distribute unlicensed product.

8. Dan Rudolph

Dan Rudolph Producer

Jeff, that Kim Possible cover isn't a typo. Have you seen the show much? Sitch is a frequently used word.

The above cover are boots though. Notice the lack of a DVD logo.

9. Jeff Ulmer

Jeff Ulmer Producer

I haven't seen Kim at all, just going by Digital Bits' naming of the disc. While I'm corrected on that one, I do have a number of major studio releases with typos on them, so I stand by my comment.

The DVD logos are on the spine, and there is no requirement for the logo to be on the front cover art, if there was the whole Criterion Collection would be classified as bootlegs.

10. Brian Thibodeau

The DVD logo may be on the spine, as well as what look to be code numbers, but why no MVD logo? Surely that's at least a little suspicious? On top of that, the Hickey & Boggs tagline is just weak. I can't imagine that's carried from the theatrical poster or some such, it's just too dull. "Worn tough men?" Please.

I'd still be willing to bet even money that those are bootlegs. They just don't look right. There's too many reasons, most of them aesthetic, of course, so anything I could say would be arguable. Just a very deep feeling based partly on having seen a staggering and disheartening array of bootleg product everytime I venture into a Chinatown.

11. Jeff Ulmer

Jeff Ulmer Producer

MVD's logo is usually on the back, they are after all only the distributors.

Supercops can be found here
    Hickey & Boggs here .

Feel free to email MVD about whether they are legit or not.

12. Jim Moore

Jim Moore Agent

Brian, I think you owe Jeff some money.[​IMG]

By the way, I have seen typos on major studio releases also.

13. Jeff Ulmer

Jeff Ulmer Producer

Hey, I like it when people owe me money - even better when they pay up! [​IMG]

14. Greg_S_H

Greg_S_H Executive Producer

Greg
  15. Russell G

Russell G Fake Shemp

Russell
    That Super Cops cover has to be the most ridiculous cover I've ever seen! Of course I must own it, it's always good to have a retarded cover in the collection to threaten guests with if they have trouble deciding on a title to watch.

"Okay, it's either "Citizen Cane" or "Casablanca", and if you don't make up your minds, I'm putting on THIS! (hold up The Super Cops)" [​IMG]

16. Brian Thibodeau

Okay, so you got me on the tagline. But it still sucks. And since I didn't formally make a bet with anyone, I ain't payin' shit [​IMG]. Strolled around the MVP site a bit, and many of their other music releases do have their logo on the spine. Guess they just leave it off the movies. Looks like they distribute stuff from everywhere, including other studios. Nevertheless, those are some of the cheapest, most bootleggy looking DVD sleeves I've ever seen.

Did notice this cool special edition of Black Christmas coming up, though:
    http://www.musicvideodistributors.co...18&cat=&page=1

Artwork sucks on that, too, but I don't think it's an MVD release.

17. Mark Edward Heuck

Mark Edward Heuck Screenwriter

Last I checked, MGM's rights to HICKEY AND BOGGS and WB's rights to THE SUPER COPS were ironclad -- no third parties, no shadow producers to revert to. MVD primarily services DVDs to stores from third party companies, they don't press product themselves. So in their defense, it's likely that someone else is providing these to them and MVD is not aware that these are bootlegs.

And sorry Charlie, but that's what these are. Walk away.

18. Brian Thibodeau

Thanks, Mark. I was beginning to feel all persecuted and stuff.

The website makes MVD look like just another distributor with a few music titles under their own banner. Their movie product runs from top of the line studio releases to bottom of the barrel kung-fu and Brentwood titles, just like DVD empire or Deep Discount, but with more "fishy" titles, so I wouldn't be surprised if they get hosed on the odd title and pass it along to their customers.

And on top of that, even if Warner or MGM did licence these out, there's no way they settle for such piss poor artwork representing the films. No way.

Looks like I should have made a formal bet after all. Damn. Personally, I've always tried to find other sources besides the frequently erroneous Internet Movie Database, even if in this case if did back up the tagline claims, but I've seen enough bootlegs to know that those, at the very least, LOOK like bootlegs. Shit, even the bootleggers put more care than that into their product these days. These guys are amateurs.