2 simple questions

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Jason Wilcox, Apr 13, 2002.

1. Jason Wilcox

Jason Wilcox Supporting Actor

1. Is it ok if one of my rear speakers is a 4 feet farther away from the listening postion than the other speaker if they are calibrated with an spl meter?

2. Would it help to put some sort of plate under a downward firing sub that is on carpet?

2. Bill_Weinreich

Bill_Weinreich Second Unit

Jason,

Most DD receivers have the ability to adjust the delay level of the rear channels. Setting them with an spl will keep them the same level, but you should set the delay for the closer speaker a little longer (4-5nS). It will give the effect of being further away.

The best way to determine about the sub is to try it. Get a piece of wood or even a large enough stepping stone and place under to try it out.

Bill

3. Mark Larson

Mark Larson Supporting Actor

Is your sub already on spikes?

I think the plate idea is a good one - try granite or marble for the WAF and because they are quite reflective.

4. Jason Wilcox

Jason Wilcox Supporting Actor

My receiver, yamaha htr-5440, does not allow you to set the delay for each individual speaker. As for the sub, I've now got a piece of slate under it. Haven't had the time to really test it out though. Thanks for the advice!

edit: Since I'm a junior in high school it's more like a MAF (mom acceptance factor)

5. Mark Larson

Mark Larson Supporting Actor