What's new

2 S-video devices, only one TV input and SR 6200 not clean switcher! (1 Viewer)

Chris PC

Senior HTF Member
Here's my video situation:
DVD with component output (interlaced)
SVHS VCR with S-video
LD player with S-video
TV has these inputs:
1 set of component inputs
1 set of composite or S-video
1 set of composite only (can plug into rear or through front panel)
I opted for a JVC 32D201 TV in March that was without PIP and gave up an extra S-video input. The 32D501 had PIP and an extra S-video input, but I never noticed the lack of the extra S-video input until I bought a used LD player in May. I never dreamed at the time I picked up the TV that I would jump both feet into a Laserdisc player.
What should I do for switching. Its pathetic that the Marantz SR 6200 doesn't pass S-video cleanly. There's vertical hash marks on the screen. Should I try another input? I need to switch a minimum of 2 S-video components.
Should I sell this TV and upgrade to the one that has 2 S-video inputs? The new JVC 32D502 replaces the 32 and also has a newer 3 line digital filter, vs my 32D201's 2 line digital filter). Selling and upgrading will cost me quite a bit as I loss money when I sell this TV.
What are my S-video switching options?
(I don't want to run the SVHS or LD composite)

Chris PC

Senior HTF Member
I guess I could bring it back. But what a huge hassle if its not broken and the performance is typical. Problem is, I have heard that S-video switching on the 6200's are a sore spot. I don't even know what the best ones look like.

Steve Daniels

Stunt Coordinator
I might as well mention that there's a chance you'd be better off using the composite output from your LD player, for reasons involving comb filters that others here could explain better than I.
Have you tried comparing the composite output from the LD player to the S-Video output?
Of course, getting the receiver fixed would be a good idea, too.

dougW

Stunt Coordinator
Mid-fi receivers are not usually optimum for video switching. To get excellent video switching, you normally need to look for Broadcast quality switching, typically found only on higher end products. A rare animal indeed, an S-video splitter. But I think there is one made. Alternately, you could look to a product that incorporates switching outside the confines of your receiver.
Of course, a new progressive scan display wouldn't be a bad option either!
Lex
------------------
Lexman's Theater

Chris PC

Senior HTF Member
I thought when I tried S-video vs Composite that S-video was better. I'll have to try it again.
Darn it! If only I'd bought the TV with 2 S-video inputs i'd not be typing this right now!

James Q Jenkins

Stunt Coordinator
If I were you I'd complain to Marantz and get the unit fixed or replaced, or get your money back and replace it with another unit. There is no excuse for what you're seeing. If a component has S-Video switching it should be clean. What good is it otherwise?
------------------
-JQJ
[Edited last by James Q Jenkins on September 20, 2001 at 08:32 AM]

ChrisAG

Supporting Actor
My "repaired" SR-6200 passes a perfect S-video signal from the DVD, VCR1 and front AUX panel, but the TV and DSS/VC2 have minor problems. For normal viewing it is not noticable, but if I have the room lights low, I notice a single vertical band during fade-to-black while watching satellite (i.e., when I change channels or the program fades for commercial).
I called Marantz directly and they offered no further solution, other than that perhaps my particular unit is worse than others and I should possibly exchange it. If I were you, I'd get the unit repaired - it's an inconvenience, but at least its free and results in a vast improvement.
JVC makes a powered S-video splitter, or at least they did a few years ago. I'm in the same boat as you with my 32" JVC TV, but I have even fewer inputs - I can use either the single composite or the single S-video. That JVC splitter has four inputs, two ouptuts, and came in handy before I got the SR-6200. Sorry I don't have the model number handy, but maybe you can find it if you search JVC's site. It was not cheap, about $250 Canadian.
Chris

Allan Jayne

Senior HTF Member
You are trying the LD player with composite and S-video, both ways, to compare the picture quality yourself, not based on what someone told you. It is the specific comb filter inside your make and model of LD player (try via S-video cable from LD player direct to TV) against the specific comb filter inside your make and model of TV (using composite cable).
If you don't see a noticeable difference especially where two vivid color patches meet or where there are closely spaced upright or slanted lines such as a pinstriped shirt, then either S-video or composite is a tossup.
More on comb filters: http://members.aol.com/ajaynejr/vidcomb.htm
[Edited last by Allan Jayne on September 20, 2001 at 09:37 AM]

John Garcia

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
Sounds like a good excuse to get a TV with more inputs...
------------------
All progress is based upon a universal, innate desire on the part of every organism,
to live beyond it's income.
ITRCA ** Link Removed (sorry, car guy)

Rachael B

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rachael Bellomy
Chris PC, the model JVC switcher that the other Chris was describing is the JX-300. It is now discontinued. It's an excellent piece, I have one. They're hard to find used too. The more expensive, but even better, JX-700 is stille available. I have one of these too, it's a superb piece. It has 7 inputs. The JX-777 also has 7 composite and S-Video inputs, plus DV inputs, 2 optical digital sound inputs, and either two or three component video inputs. If the 777 had the bandwidth for progressive or hi-def component switching, I would own one. It does not though. All of these switchers do have composite to S-Video mixing and seperating. The 700 is awfully good at this, either direction. Best wishes!
------------------
Rachael, the big disc cat! "...Mandrake, have you ever seen a commie drink water..."
AFI Film Challenge, hey I've only got 1 to go!

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks