What's new

2 Questions: Serial Wiring, and running 4-ohm speakers on Onkyo TX-SR600 (1 Viewer)

Steve Griswold

Stunt Coordinator
Couple quick questions here for anyone who can help:

My current setup is as follows:
Onkyo TX-SR600
4x Rogers DB101 speakers
2x Infinity Quadrapole rears
1x Infinity P-CC center (rear)

Right now, I have 2 of the Rogers wired in serial as my center channel, for a total impedance of 8 ohms. I was wondering if this is at all bad for the speakers or the amp. I figured it would be better considering the Onkyo technically isn't supposed to run speakers at 4 ohm anyway.

In any case, I ordered another pair of the Rogers and will be replacing my Infinity rears, meaning that 4 of 6 channels will be run at 4 ohms. Does anyone with experience with this particular receiver know of its ability to drive low impedance speakers? It's doing fine with 2 channels @ 4ohm but I don't want to risk a meltdown with 4 channels like that.

Jim Williams

Second Unit
I wrote Onkyo about my Klipsch KG2 speakers which are also rated at 4 ohms here is the reply:

"Thank You for contacting Onkyo USA Product Support.

If your are using all 4 ohm speakers for the speakers then you will be able to use the Klipsch speakers.

Again, thank you for contacting Onkyo USA Product Support,
if you need further Assistance feel free to call us at 800-229-1687."

Your Rogers DB101 speakers are about the same sensitivity as my KG2s so the above reply should also work for you. Keep in mind though that this question was in reference to the TX-SR601 which has a beefier power supply than the TX-SR600.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks