2 questions from a new guy

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Henry Hughes, Dec 18, 2002.

1. Henry Hughes

Henry Hughes Agent

Hi guys,
    Been lurking for awhile and decided to join up. This is a great site and resource. Anyway Im just starting out my HT and I have a couple questions.
    First I have the Cerwin Vega RE30 floorspeakers. I was wondering if I can use these for my fronts as well as my subwoofer.
    Second,
    Does the center speaker REALLY have to match the brand of your front speakers.
    Thanks in advance.

2. Jeff Gatie

Jeff Gatie Lead Actor

Although the frequency range of the speakers says 28Hz - We don't know the performance dropoff at that point. You can certainly use these as a front and route the subwoofer bass to them, I feel theywould be sorely lacking the performance you would get from a dedicated sub, not to mention taxing your amp/receiver with driving the lower freq's.

As far as the second question, it is recommended that not only do you get a center from the same manufacturer, but that it be timbre matched to your fronts. This will allow for a seamless front soundstage and will minimize timbre differences for front sound pans.

3. Ted Lee

Ted Lee Lead Actor

hi henry! welcomme to htf! [​IMG]

4. Henry Hughes

Henry Hughes Agent

thanks alot guys I appreciate the prompt answers