What's new

2 Questions about burned (burnt?) CD-Rs (1 Viewer)

Greg_Y

Screenwriter
1. Is it possible to detect if an audio CD has been sourced from MP3s? Meaning, are there any utilities that can tell whether or not a CD has been made by decompressing MP3s into wavs and burning them. I would think no, but maybe there's some app that does this.

2. More importantly, is there a utility or app that will read a CD to make sure it, um, works. I do alot of live CD trading on the web. Sometimes the trades involve multiple titles and I can't listen to them all right away. Then a week or two later, I'll find that part of the disc is unreadable. Is there any way to verify the disc quickly without listening to the whole thing? Like an app that looks for bad sectors?

Y'all are good at finding utilities and applications that do these types of things, so I figured I might ask.

Thanks!

Salvador

Second Unit
i can't really think of a definite sure fire way for problem number 1. But from experience, i could usually tell if a CD is burned from mp3 files just by listening to the disc. One thing to remember though is that if the mp3's were encoded using high quality encoders such as lame, then detecting it would be very difficult but if xing or fraunhofer codecs were used i could easily tell. Another way is to check the total disc time of the disc that you have to an original disc or internet sites that show total track times and see if it matches. Mp3's are usually of by a second or two most of the time so you can easily spot any inconsistencies.

for problem number 2, you could try making an image file from the audio cd. Just use cdrwin or any other cd-r program out there that lets you make an image. If you can successfully make an image then the whole disc is readable. If not, check to see at what percentage you stopped and you can roughly estimate which track is has the bad sectors.

hope this helps

John_Berger

Senior HTF Member
Then a week or two later, I'll find that part of the disc is unreadable.
Most CD writing software has a "verify after write" function to go back and compare the disc with what it should be. You should start by utilizing this function.
Also, not all discs can be burned at the specified maximum speed of all writers. Even though my writer is a 16x, I have far, far better luck writing at 12x. 16x always ends up making more coasters than it should.
By the way, burned and burnt are both acceptable according to Webster's Dictionary. :)

Greg_Y

Screenwriter
Most CD writing software has a "verify after write" function to go back and compare the disc with what it should be. You should start by utilizing this function.
I have no problem with the CDs I've burned. As I originally said, it's when I get discs from other people that I have problems.

However, I don't really have this issue anymore, as I don't trade audio CDs much now, just compressed audio like SHN or FLAC. No more problems due to bad ripping since there's no ripping.

John_Berger

Senior HTF Member
Ah. In that case, you should recommend to the others to use their "verify after write" function. ;)

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vasyear
Recent bookmarks