2 Questions about burned (burnt?) CD-Rs

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Greg_Y, Mar 19, 2002.

1. Greg_Y

Greg_Y Screenwriter

1. Is it possible to detect if an audio CD has been sourced from MP3s? Meaning, are there any utilities that can tell whether or not a CD has been made by decompressing MP3s into wavs and burning them. I would think no, but maybe there's some app that does this.

2. More importantly, is there a utility or app that will read a CD to make sure it, um, works. I do alot of live CD trading on the web. Sometimes the trades involve multiple titles and I can't listen to them all right away. Then a week or two later, I'll find that part of the disc is unreadable. Is there any way to verify the disc quickly without listening to the whole thing? Like an app that looks for bad sectors?

Y'all are good at finding utilities and applications that do these types of things, so I figured I might ask.

Thanks!

2. Salvador

Salvador Second Unit

i can't really think of a definite sure fire way for problem number 1. But from experience, i could usually tell if a CD is burned from mp3 files just by listening to the disc. One thing to remember though is that if the mp3's were encoded using high quality encoders such as lame, then detecting it would be very difficult but if xing or fraunhofer codecs were used i could easily tell. Another way is to check the total disc time of the disc that you have to an original disc or internet sites that show total track times and see if it matches. Mp3's are usually of by a second or two most of the time so you can easily spot any inconsistencies.

for problem number 2, you could try making an image file from the audio cd. Just use cdrwin or any other cd-r program out there that lets you make an image. If you can successfully make an image then the whole disc is readable. If not, check to see at what percentage you stopped and you can roughly estimate which track is has the bad sectors.

hope this helps

3. Christian Behrens

Christian Behrens Supporting Actor

Christian Behrens
    For 2, a tool like CDSpeed2000 should be able to help you with the CD checking, it has a scandisk function.
    HTH,
    -Christian

4. Greg_Y

Greg_Y Screenwriter

5. Kris McLaughlin

Kris McLaughlin Stunt Coordinator

Interesting link, Greg. Thanks!

6. John_Berger

John_Berger Cinematographer

7. Greg_Y

Greg_Y Screenwriter

8. John_Berger

John_Berger Cinematographer

Ah. In that case, you should recommend to the others to use their "verify after write" function. [​IMG]