What's new

2 PW-2200 or 1 Servo-15? (1 Viewer)

Brae

Supporting Actor
Please do not suggest anything as a third option. Thank you!
I am trying to determine if I would be better off with two Paradigm PW-2200 subwoofers or one Servo-15 subwoofer for my home theater application.
The room is approximately 3,000 cubic-feet in volume with a footprint of 12'4"x26'4". I will not really have any room acoustical treatment. All concrete walls are covered with framed 2x4 false walls, insulated via fiberglass--really low-tech DIY.
I will have two rows of seating, with the 2nd row on a 12-14" high riser. The ceiling height will be about 8' under the soffets that for a 12" deep perimeter around the room and the ceiling height in the middle will be about 8'6". The core of the ceiling will be hung with black tiles utilizing fiberglass batting laying on top of them.
Lighting will be minimal (its a theater, not a party or dining room!) via 4-6 cans. I am undecided how I will integrate the subwoofer solution, but have resolved myself to these products.
So, two PW-2200 or one Servo-15?

James Bergeron

Supporting Actor
2 PW-2200's will give you more power and probably be equal to the servo-15 on the low end. It's probably your best bet.

Jerry Klawiter

Screenwriter
Agreed, Two 2200's would more then fill your needs.
My ht room is 15' x 28' and when I used the PW-2000 you
felt the sub right in your chest with just one.
I would suggest trying one first.
I think you will be surprised. :emoji_thumbsup:

James R. Geib

Stunt Coordinator
If you only watch movies, go with the dual PW's. However, if you also listen to a lot of music (even concerts on DVD), then I would go with the Servo-15.

The room I use is about 2000 cubic feet larger, is an open floor plan to the kitchen, has 12 foot cathedral ceilings, and still the Servo-15 fills the room with deep, accurate bass. Two PW's may produce more Decibels, but will not be more musical!

Frank Carter

Screenwriter
I'd go for the dual 2200's.

Here is the Nousaine data comparing the two:

Paradigm PW2200 - 107.4dB / 20hz~91dB(106.25)
Paradigm Servo15 - 107.3dB /21hz

Brae

Supporting Actor
This is really interesting replies. I would never have guessed so many people would be recommending the dual PW-2200 setup over the Servo-15. Yes, the application is 80/20 movies/music, which furthers James suggestion, too.

I guess I need to see what kind of deal I can swing on a pair of PW-2200 from the local shops. I suppose I'll have to let them know I am looking for a cash-deal, too, to further entice them.

I noticed that some of the recent reviewers on AudioReview stated the got a really good deal. Of course, I ignored those Canadian shoppers because they get this Canadian product cheaply. For the PW-2200, I wonder what kind of cash discount I can get off the $800 list price. I did get an offer from someone for $1300 for the Servo-15. The same kind of discount would place me around $700/ea. for the PW-2200.

Interesting.

James R. Geib

Stunt Coordinator
I do seem to be in the minority on this one Brae.

Many people have purchased the PW-2200 and are extremely happy subwoofer owners. The ones who have purchased the Servo-15 feel the same, but for different reasons. The Servo-15 is a more musical sub for music lovers, and the PW-2200 is an excellent sub for movies.

Since you will be watching more movies than listening to music, the PW-2200 would be a fine choice.

Have you auditioned both subs in person?? Let that be your guide, and not us biased sub owners!

Brae

Supporting Actor
James, I have a friend that has the Servo-15 in his theater. And, although I will be auditioning it again in his theater I have also auditioned it in a showroom where it was wired via the front-left/right preouts. Sound was fantastic, but I honest have never been prepared for testing the bass via proper music/movie materials--this is something I need to work on.

As for the PW-2200, I have not auditioned it, do not know anyone local that has it, and hence curious as to performance considering the price. Still, 2-for-1 is an attractive position to be in if the PW-2200 can get me +80% of the performance of the Servo-15.

I am curious to know how the PW-2200 sounds compared to a subwoofer on loan to me via a friend. That subwoofer is an M&K MX-150THX. I have no interest in buying the M&K and have nothing to say about it either way. I friend says he got it for $1100 and I think its a pretty good subwoofer in its own right. Still, I was trying to keep within decent subwoofers of the same branding (not that it will guarantee me anything in life).

RichardH

Supporting Actor
One thing to keep in mind here is the benefits of coupling. With subwoofers, if you have 2 of the same powered sub, you'll get anywhere from 3 to 6 dB extra when you add the 2nd sub. On a single sub, you'd have to double your power in order to get a 3 dB increase in output. So, you get a little extra there.

Also, if you put the two subs right together, they will extend slightly lower than just one sub. This technique is used at concerts all the time. If you've been to a concert, you've seen the arrays of subs on either side of the stage where all the subs are stacked right together. A single one of those subs would not be able to extend that low, but all of them together can do it.

Something to think about.

BTW, my personal recommendation is for dual-2200s.

mark rush

Stunt Coordinator
Brae, I tried all the Paradigm sub's in house, that was the servo15, pw2200, and the ps1200 version3, I ended up with dual pw2200's, it sounds great on music and H.T. works well with my 4 Klipschklf20's and has great impact, I was not that impressed with the servo15, don't get me wrong it is a great sub, but I got 2 pw2200's for the price of 1 servo15, and I am very happy with my choice
Mark

Tom Vodhanel

Senior HTF Member
>>The PW2200 does not have better extention than the Servo-15. 1) Here's a link to the review being quoted.
Tom Nousaine's PW22000 review
Frequency response of 28-120 Hz(+/-3 dB). And 90 dB SPL at 20 Hz.
Here's the Tom Nousaine Servo-15 review
Frequency response of 22-120 Hz(+/- 3dB).

Robert_Gaither

Screenwriter
I'll jump on the Paradigm Servo-15 as this is one of the best subs I've heard until I built my own. Unfortunately never heard this at the same time as the PW2200 (btw, another great sub, and not just for the money either) but it isn't a slouch either (I have heard this against a Velodyne CT150 and Def Tech PF15 definitely best of the three imho). I think based on your room size it really comes down to how loud you like it though both decisions will sound great, the dual subs should give a little more headroom but the Servo might compensate by minimizing distortion at high output levels (though this might seem compressed by some standards).

Jeff Massey

Agent
I heard both at a stereo shop in Windsor, Ont. I thought the servo was a big step up. It just seemed a lot cleaner and bit more low end. But, I did not compare two vs one.

Tom,

TN in the PW2200 review does not speak about the room size. He did mention in his Active Studio Series + Servo-15 that he had moved to a larger room(5700 cu ft or so). So he did some kind of conversion and said that the response would be 22-120 Hz(+/-3dB NF) in a typical listening room.

Unfortunately the review does not mention whether the 28-120 Hz for the PW2200 is NF or listening position nor does it mention what the room size was.

What is " a typical listening room " to you guys(Sub manufactuters)? Is this a standard size or does it depend on the manufacturer.

Like some publish RMS power while other publish peak power and some go as far as saying that peak is really what matters(for 10 - 35 ms yeah right!!).

Tom Vodhanel

Senior HTF Member
Hi Kris,

Something is weird though,

According to the servo15 review...the 107.3dB is referenced back to the SMALL room. The PW2200 did 108dB in the large room. Then TN mentions the servo15 is within 0.5dB of his reference FSR15--which hits around 109 in the large room I think?

I talked with TN about this years ago when I first started the huge TN list I made...he seemed to think some of his work was edited downstream with important figures and room references left out on occasion. So all we can do is look at the data and make reasonable assumptions at times I suppose.

TV

Tom,

That is an interesting point. Looks like both the subs are very close in performance from a dB standpoint. However the Servo extends lower and in a 3000 Cu ft room can produce at the listening position at usual movie volumes. 59 on the rotel preamp, half on the x-30 and the Servo-15. The listening position level at this setting is around 75 dB.

for the following frequencies the observed dB is at listening position. Which is about 5 ft from the subwoofer. The subwoofer is placed 1 ft away the long wall of the room at about the 1/3 length point.

13.wav 61 dB
14.5.wav 65 dB
15.5.wav 69 dB
16.5.wav 70 dB
17.5.wav 72 dB
18.5.wav 72.5 dB
19.6.wav 73.5 dB
20.wav 76 dB
22.wav 78 dB

I created the CD using a free tool NCH tone generator.

Now if someone from here who owns a PW2200 can publish results for a similar test we can have a first hand comparision.

Kris

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Joshua32
Recent bookmarks