What's new

2 Peter Weir films coming to region 2 UK (1 Viewer)

Jay E

Senior HTF Member
Just saw that The Cars That Ate Paris and The Plumber are being released on June 30th for only 5.99 (pounds) in region 2 UK. Great price!

Sean Campbell

Second Unit
I seem to remember reading that 'Picnic At Hanging Rock' is also due on region 2 within the next few months ( although it's worth remembering that the Criterion edition is region 0 ). Hopefully it'll be anamorphic this time.

Tim Fleming

Stunt Coordinator
Does anyone have any idea what (if any) extras will be on The Cars That Ate Paris?

Also, the following is a section of the transcript from the HTF's own Criterion Collection chat on October 23rd 2001 (full transcript here) and releates to a question I asked about The Cars That Ate Paris:

(TimFleming) Greetings and salivations... I am wondering now that you have completed Peter Weir's Last Wave, are there any plans for "The Cars That Ate Paris" (a far superior film imho). Additionally, is there any chance that you might be able to get your hands on John Huston's "Wise Blood" (currently in the possession of New Line I believe) and Kurosawa's "Dreams"?

(JonMulvaney) DREAMS is one of our most-requested titles. We'd love to release it, but we don't hold the rights.

(PeterBecker) Thanks, and good questions... Last Wave is wrapping up nicely.
We're helping Peter Weir put together new materials for Cars That Ate Paris, and you should get a good version on DVD soon. I believe it will be coming out from Home Vision as a part of their line... As to Dreams, perhaps the most requested title, Jon tells me, we don't have the rights. Wise Blood is a personal favorite film, and to be honest, I haven't even explored the rights. I appreicate your asking. I'll check it out.
I would certainly be interested in hearing if anything further ever came of that. Anyone know anything?

regards, Tim...

Mark_vdH

Screenwriter
The running time (1 hour and 50 minutes PAL) seems to indicate that the Picnic at Hanging Rock dvd will feature the original theatrical cut instead of the 1998 (?) director's cut that was on the R0 Criterion.

So despite already having the Criterion, I'll get this one - if OAR - too at GBP 5.99. :)

Now, an OAR Fearless anyone?

Gordon McMurphy

Senior HTF Member
I have Picnic At Hanging Rock.

It is 1.77:1 anamorphic. Beautiful transfer: colourful; clean; sharp.

Dolby 2.0 mono is very nice, too.

No extras, but that would be somewhat inappropriate for a mysterious film such as this. ;)

Buy it! £5.99?! No-brainer, really.

Gordy

Mark_vdH

Screenwriter
I received mine too, and it is the same (1997 or 1998) director's cut that's also on the Criterion. Although trivially, the title screen in the movie that says "Picnic At Hanging Rock" is slightly different.

The quality looks about the same as the Criterion to me, apart from the slight cropping to 1.78:1 and slightly sharper appearance on my TV (that doesn't handle non-anamorphic NTSC stuff like the Criterion very well).

The only things you miss buying the R2 version are English HOH subtitles, the 5.1 remix, the (IMO pretty bad) theatrical trailer, and the liner notes by, I believe, Vincent Canby.

Gordon McMurphy

Senior HTF Member
Yeah, Paul - I bought The Cars That Ate Paris today, and it has the familiar "2.35:1/16x9 widescreen" icon.

But lo and behold - it is a 1.78:1 transfer after the credits finish! I also vomited BLOOD at the site of that! I thought those days were over!

So disppointed. :frowning:

Where's the region 1 Home Vision Entertainment SE that Weir was working on with the HVE team!? :frowning:

Gordy

Gordon McMurphy

Senior HTF Member
Joking aside, this is a great cult film and I have never seen it in anything other than 1.33:1 pan and scan, and although seeing slightly more at 1.78:1 is so Great, I expected to see the full Panavision framing I paid for.

Needless to say, I returned the DVD to HMV today

I walked in with it raised above my head for all to see - and mock. ;) :emoji_thumbsup:

Grrr.

Gordy

Tim Fleming

Stunt Coordinator
Joking aside, this is a great cult film and I have never seen it in anything other than 1.33:1 pan and scan, and although seeing slightly more at 1.78:1 is so Great, I expected to see the full Panavision framing I paid for.
Well, I emailed Home Vision Entertainment regarding their supposed upcoming release (see my earlier post above), and the following is the response I received this morning:
---------------------
There are plans to release a special edition DVD of "Cars that Ate Paris" later this year. No date has been announced at this time. Our release will include an interview, and most likely, also include Weir's "The Plumber", on the same disc.

More information will be posted as production progresses and street date is finalized. You may want to take the time to register for our mailing list, we will be sending periodic updates regarding upcoming releases to those
registered. To register simply click on the SIGN UP link from the top banner on our site, then complete the form labeled JOIN OUR MAILING LIST at the top of that page.

----------------------------

So, things are looking very good indeed on the Cars That Ate Paris front.

regards, Tim...

Gordon McMurphy

Senior HTF Member
Great news, Tim! :emoji_thumbsup:

Home Vision puts out some great stuff. Do you haev their Black And White In Color DVD? Absolutely superb. :emoji_thumbsup:

Gordy

Mark_vdH

Screenwriter
I still want a good (I'm not even asking for great ;) ) release of Weir's Fearless.

Which company holds the rights to the European/British market? Warner?

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
maltby
Recent bookmarks