2 PC-Ultras or 1 PB2-Ultra

Discussion in 'Speakers & Subwoofers' started by Shane Morales, Apr 30, 2004.

1. Shane Morales

Shane Morales Second Unit

Just curious. Cost is about the same. Assuming space or aesthetics is not an issue, will two PC-Ultras perform about the same as one PB2-Ultra or do you think there will be a significant difference?

2. JohnSmith

JohnSmith Supporting Actor

Well the PB2 Ultra is tuned to 25hz, so that's not a fair comparison straight away. Perhaps if a 25-31 PC Ultra's to choose from both subs would be tune to the same (barring any plugging for both)

It would also depend if you co-locate the PC Ultra or put them either side of the room for stereo/dual mono bass output.

3. AxelKro

AxelKro Stunt Coordinator

Hi Shane,

as I have my experience with two PB1+, I would go for the dual Sub solution.
    I have mine placed one on each side of the couch, and the bass centers perfectly at the listening position.

For Movies the dream setup [​IMG]

Ax

4. terence

terence Supporting Actor

Hi Shane,

I agree with Alex, i own dual 20-39 PC+'s and they work great in my room. Click Here for more detail on my room.

5. terence

terence Supporting Actor

If you place the cylinders together you will have a 6db gain in bass output. Seperate them you will loose 3db, and the PB2U will have output advantage over the dual set up. When together the duals will outgun the PB2U due to them having more internal volume. Also when together since they are tune @ 20Hz they will dig deeper than the PB2U with higher SPL's.

They both have their pros & cons.

20-39PC-U:

Flexible placement/phase issues
    little more output (collocated)/loose 3db seperated

PB2-U:

Wood finish/one location & heavy

It's late i'm sure others will chime in with more post. Either way you go, you will be in good shape.

6. Joey_V

Joey_V Second Unit

i say... go for the pb2u. u cant mess with that single sub, and u definitely cant mess with the wood veneer... wowowowow!

now if u said two SS versus 1 PBU... then thats another story.

7. ScottCarr

ScottCarr Second Unit

After having 2 PB2+ and the announcement of the PB2U and PCU I was faced with the looks of a gorgeous box or the cylinder. It being a dedicated HT the cylinders were a perfect fit and I recovered a good deal of real estate. If they new sub was going into a living room or family room I would have went with the Veneer finish

8. Joey_V

Joey_V Second Unit

it would be nice if svs offered an ss based on the 20-39 cylinder... wow... called SS junior or something - equipped with ultra drivers. [​IMG]