What's new

2 Parts Fusion Model DMS 501 HTPC Review (1 Viewer)

Jim DiJoseph

Second Unit
Gentlemen, Parker's review has certainly piqued my interest. However, I'm in love with my DirecTiVo. While only focusing on the DVR aspect of the offerings by 2 Parts Fusion, what are the advantages to switching to a DMS? I realize all the various functions aside from DVR, but I guess my main question has to do with what will I sacrifice by giving up my DirecTiVo?

Parker Clack

Schizophrenic Man
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Parker
Jim:

You wouldn't have to sacrifice anything. The DMS will allow you to continue to use the DirecTiVo and at the same time allow you to archive your CD collection, surf the web and give you a piece of equipment that is now upgradeable to grow with any changes.

Parker

Matt Wright

Stunt Coordinator
Parker pretty much said it for me :)

The DMS can control just about any common cable box or satellite receiver with its' IR blasters (IR emitter in TiVo-speak). So you could infact just leave the DirecTiVo in place or elimnate it and go back to a standard DirectTV receiver. But do know that you do need two DirecTV receivers for dual-tuner functionality, one to feed each tuner on the DMS.

Benefits? well again as Parker said you can do tons of things with your DMS beyond PVR use. And the PVR feature of the DMS has no monthy fees for guide data.

Parker Clack

Schizophrenic Man
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Parker
Matt:

I wish someone would come out with a PCI card that would allow you to get DirecTV or Dish. That and a card for XFM and Sirius.

Parker

Matt Wright

Stunt Coordinator
Yeah don't get me started :rolleyes:... even the cable industry which was finally forced into an access card standard (CableCARD) won't trust the PC currently to have pure digital access to conent.

Gregg Loewen

Founder, Professional Video Alliance
Insider
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Gregg Loewen
this is way cool!!

Question...if I were converting my CDs onto the HD to act as a digital jukebox...how much data space does a CD require? Meaning...how many CDs can I get on a 200 gig HD?

mark alan

Supporting Actor

A cd is 650 megs, so if you straight copied the wav files, you could put about 300 cds on it. If your coverted the songs to a compressed format, you could easily get the equivalent of 1500 or more cds with little loss in quality.

Users who are viewing this thread