What's new

2 new Phillips DVD/DVDA/SACD players=$599 and $299!!! (1 Viewer)

Kelly Scott Rickards

Stunt Coordinator
And the $599 player has the Sage/Faroudja DCDi chip!!!:
http://www.smr-home-theatre.org/ces2.../page_01.shtml
As the new SACD and DVD-Audio high resolution multi-channel audio formats struggle to gain market traction, prospects for both brighten with the introduction of universal players capable of handling both formats.
The new Elite DV-47A, available in February for $1200, is a key product from Pioneer Electronics, based on the company's DV-747 player only available outside the US market. Unlike Pioneer's previous universal player, the $3000 AX10 (which only performs 2-channel SACD decoding), the DV-47A offers full six-channel SACD output using a Sony native DSD decoder chip (no conversion to PCM), in addition to both DVD-A and standard DVD-video playback.
Player-based bass management is available for both formats. The unit is progressive scan, using Pioneer's improved Pure Cinema II deinterlacing. A sample SACD took only 8 seconds to load (compared to up to 40 seconds for the only current competing product), and standard DVD was very fast. MPEG decoding has reportedly been improved, but the absence of technical personnel on Press Day made it impossible to determine if the chroma upsampling artifacts problem affecting many DVD players (including previous Pioneer models) have been resolved. Stay tuned for more info.
The images were removed at the request of SMR as they are copyright of SMR. It additions it is slowing down their server pulling them image from their servers.
Parker

Andrew P

Second Unit
I am excited about the new Philips players too, but if they exhibit the numerous problems that the Q50 does then I will be very disappointed. Hopefully they fix the random freeze and audio dropouts with their newer players.

Andy

Andrew Beck

Stunt Coordinator
[font=http://beck.servebeer.com/ht.html]I was really excited for a moment... then I saw that they don't have DVD-A :)[/font]

KeithH

Senior HTF Member
I am very disappointed to see that the Pioneer Elite DV-47A does not have rosewood side panels. :thumbsdown: :thumbsdown: Of course, the pictures Kelly provided are of a pre-production unit (note that there is no serial number), so things could always change. In any event, the '47A could be a bargain at $1200. Remember that the Elite DV-38A progressive-scan DVD-Audio player (no SACD) sells for $1500. Of course, the '38A has rosewood side panels. ;)
By the way, from the view of the back panel on the '47A, it looks like they weren't using it for sound demos of SACD or DVD-Audio. Note that there is only a coaxial digital cable connected for audio. However, I also see only one component video cable connected, so perhaps this shot was taken before the Pioneer reps. had finished hooking it up.

Chip E

Screenwriter
At $1200.00 list, the new Pioneer looks like it will have a fairly attractive street price...

KeithH

Senior HTF Member
Chip, what percentage are Pioneer Elite products usually discounted by? I said in another thread on this board that I didn't expect authorized dealers to discount the '47A much from $1200. Maybe they will. The only Elite component I own is the discontinued PD-65 CD player. It retailed for $800 once upon a time, but authorized dealers often sold it for $700, which is what I paid. So, if a 12.5% discount is typical on Elite products, maybe we'll see the '47A for $1050 at authorized dealers. I'm still skeptical that we will see Tweeter selling the '47A for $1050 or thereabouts. Then again, you get a discount at Tweeter, so you'll probably make out O.K. ;)

Chip E

Screenwriter
Keith,
Beleive it or not, "I ain't that special!" at Tweeter, lol... I still don't know whats going on with the 49TX i ordered for cry'n out loud. As far as street prices for the new SACD/DVDA player, i don't think Pionner dictates the selling price nor is there a "Pioneer Elite margin" as far as i know. There is a margin as with anything else. I'll predict now that i'll get this player from an authorized dealer somwhere, maybe not Tweeter, (who knows) for somewhere in the neiborhood of $800.00 to $900.00. The trick is (ya ready) Never keep all your money in the same pocket ;) :D
On a side note,did you get my email about the MIT Terminator 2 cables?

KeithH

Senior HTF Member
Chip, hopefully Tweeter will come through for you with the Elite receiver. $800-900 from an authorized dealer would be fantastic for the '47A. If that becomes a reality, considering our experience with the 'C555ES, how much do you think we would be able to get the '47A for when it is discontinued? ;)
When the '47A hits the streets, I will check out Tweeter on Kirkwood Highway as well as Overture and Hi-Fi House in Wilmington. Tweeter and Overture will likely have it for the same price, but Hi-Fi House could be willing to deal a bit. I find the guys at Hi-Fi House to be a bit sleazy (so is the store for that matter), but a deal is a deal. Hi-Fi House is an authorized dealer.
As for your e-mail, I was away for a few days and am just getting caught up. I saw your messages about the MIT Terminator 2 cables and will respond through e-mail.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks