2 new Phillips DVD/DVDA/SACD players=$599 and $299!!!

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Kelly Scott Rickards, Jan 8, 2002.

1. Kelly Scott Rickards

Kelly Scott Rickards Stunt Coordinator

And the $599 player has the Sage/Faroudja DCDi chip!!!:
    http://www.smr-home-theatre.org/ces2.../page_01.shtml

2. Andrew P

Andrew P Second Unit

I am excited about the new Philips players too, but if they exhibit the numerous problems that the Q50 does then I will be very disappointed. Hopefully they fix the random freeze and audio dropouts with their newer players.

Andy

3. Ryan Spaight

Ryan Spaight Supporting Actor

Note that the Philips players do not support DVDA...

Ryan

4. Andrew Beck

Andrew Beck Stunt Coordinator

[font=http://beck.servebeer.com/ht.html]I was really excited for a moment... then I saw that they don't have DVD-A [​IMG][/font]

5. KeithH

KeithH Lead Actor

I am very disappointed to see that the Pioneer Elite DV-47A does not have rosewood side panels. [​IMG] [​IMG] Of course, the pictures Kelly provided are of a pre-production unit (note that there is no serial number), so things could always change. In any event, the '47A could be a bargain at $1200. Remember that the Elite DV-38A progressive-scan DVD-Audio player (no SACD) sells for $1500. Of course, the '38A has rosewood side panels. [​IMG]
    By the way, from the view of the back panel on the '47A, it looks like they weren't using it for sound demos of SACD or DVD-Audio. Note that there is only a coaxial digital cable connected for audio. However, I also see only one component video cable connected, so perhaps this shot was taken before the Pioneer reps. had finished hooking it up.

6. Chip E

Chip E Screenwriter

At $1200.00 list, the new Pioneer looks like it will have a fairly attractive street price...

7. KeithH

KeithH Lead Actor

Chip, what percentage are Pioneer Elite products usually discounted by? I said in another thread on this board that I didn't expect authorized dealers to discount the '47A much from $1200. Maybe they will. The only Elite component I own is the discontinued PD-65 CD player. It retailed for $800 once upon a time, but authorized dealers often sold it for $700, which is what I paid. So, if a 12.5% discount is typical on Elite products, maybe we'll see the '47A for $1050 at authorized dealers. I'm still skeptical that we will see Tweeter selling the '47A for $1050 or thereabouts. Then again, you get a discount at Tweeter, so you'll probably make out O.K. [​IMG]

8. Chip E

Chip E Screenwriter

Keith,
    Beleive it or not, "I ain't that special!" at Tweeter, lol... I still don't know whats going on with the 49TX i ordered for cry'n out loud. As far as street prices for the new SACD/DVDA player, i don't think Pionner dictates the selling price nor is there a "Pioneer Elite margin" as far as i know. There is a margin as with anything else. I'll predict now that i'll get this player from an authorized dealer somwhere, maybe not Tweeter, (who knows) for somewhere in the neiborhood of $800.00 to $900.00. The trick is (ya ready) Never keep all your money in the same pocket [​IMG] [​IMG]
    On a side note,did you get my email about the MIT Terminator 2 cables?

9. KeithH

KeithH Lead Actor

Chip, hopefully Tweeter will come through for you with the Elite receiver. $800-900 from an authorized dealer would be fantastic for the '47A. If that becomes a reality, considering our experience with the 'C555ES, how much do you think we would be able to get the '47A for when it is discontinued? [​IMG]
    When the '47A hits the streets, I will check out Tweeter on Kirkwood Highway as well as Overture and Hi-Fi House in Wilmington. Tweeter and Overture will likely have it for the same price, but Hi-Fi House could be willing to deal a bit. I find the guys at Hi-Fi House to be a bit sleazy (so is the store for that matter), but a deal is a deal. Hi-Fi House is an authorized dealer.
    As for your e-mail, I was away for a few days and am just getting caught up. I saw your messages about the MIT Terminator 2 cables and will respond through e-mail.