2 network devices, only one port on computer

Discussion in 'Computers' started by jeff peterson, Jun 17, 2004.

1. jeff peterson

jeff peterson Supporting Actor

I have a cable modem hooked to my PC's one network port and want to connect a digital media receiver. Do I need some kind of network switch or a pigtail type adapter; ie, 2 female network ports, one male? Or is it possible to just add another network card to the PC?

2. SethH

SethH Cinematographer

You need a switch. It may also make your life easier to have a router. You can buy several routers with built-in switches (Linksys, D-Link, Belkin, etc). Look on Ebay and you can probably get one for about $30.

3. Chris

Chris Lead Actor

You will have to have a router. The network media device will need an IP, and most cable modems, etc. won't dish out two unless you pay extra [​IMG]

A router with switch are available cheaply (less then $40) that do simple NAT and will fix your problem right up [​IMG]

4. jeff peterson

jeff peterson Supporting Actor

Thanks, fellas. Is it possible to just add another network card? If I go with a switcher, does that imply I can only use the cable mode OR the network media receiver; not both simultaneously?

5. SethH

SethH Cinematographer

Nope. A switch/router allows you to use many devices all at the same time. Your idea about adding a network card will work (I assume you mean adding a NIC to the PC and running an ethernet cable from there to media receiver). But the router/switch is a much simpler and easier to add on to in the future.

6. Kyle McKnight

Kyle McKnight Cinematographer

Up until a week ago, I had two computers, xbox live and replayTV hooked up through comcast just using a switch...been like this for about a year. Then they updated my cable modem to where I could only have one IP without letting me know. When I called to find out what happened, they told me I'd need to pay $5/month for each device I wanted connected. I just told the guy "nah, I'll just pick up a router for $30, thanks anyways.