What's new

2 Inches Does Matter (Speaker related REALLY) (1 Viewer)

JamieS

Stunt Coordinator
Yes strange title but....

I have been meesing with my new setup for almost a month now. My Room is 15 X 17 but the front wall oppens up onto the landing on the stairs so the front wall is rally about 20 feet compared to 15 in the back. there is a small 3 foot wall with winow opening in line with the starirs which gives a bit of a strange shape. I had my monitor 7s centered on the 15 foot part of the front wall. The left speker is 41 CM (about 1.5 feet) from the back wall and about a foot from the side wall. The right speaker is 41 cm from the back wall but there is about 5 feet of space on the side due to the shape of the room. The sub is on the inside of the right speaker.

I had been having trouble getting the sound stage right. It always seemed biased towards the right side. I tried toeing in, out, moving the left speaker a little closer even adjusting the balance towards the left side. Alaways the vocals sounded like they were behind the right corner of my RPTV. I could hear the left speaker fine but it just seemed that whoever was sining was standing on the right side of the room.

By sheer luck last night I picked the right speaker up (it is spiked so I can't slide it). to try toing it in differently. I moved it 2 inches closer to the sub (into the room spo to speak) I had to set it down to readjust my grip before I toed it in and WOW. I could tell something was differnt. I sat on the couch my wifes Bee Gees greatest hits (I KNOW I KNOW BEE GEES I was raised in the 70s) was playing and all of a sudden I had to check to see if I had it in Dolby Pro Logic II! I thought the Gibb brothers were coming out of the center speaker! . I though wow that can't be it but no mater where I sat on the couch the vocals were right on top pof the TV. No more righjt bias.

Sorry if this was long but I did not belive until now that 2 inches in speaker palacement could make a differnece but it did. If you have a good buddy who wouldn't mide shifting your speakers for you while you sit and listen you might be amazed at the results. I was.

John Garcia

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
Less than ONE inch can make a difference...:D Congrats! It takes a long time to get them just right. Now the thing is, to somehow make sure you don't move them again!! I had my sweet spot all set up just like you mention (it sounds like the center is playing), then I got a new sub and had to move the right speaker out while bringing the sub in, and I LOST the imaging when I put that speaker back!! It took me a day or two, and a lot of tweaking, to get it back into the right spot again.

LarrySkelly

Stunt Coordinator
Some speakers are more finicky than others. It took me a long, long time to get my Martin-Logan's positioned properly, but when I did the soundstage was amazing. I marked the spot on the floor with little masking tape hash marks.

A week later I noticed the cleaning lady had moved the speakers so that she could clean the tape up off the floor.

Sigh.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation240
Recent bookmarks