What's new

2 hsu vtf-2's or 1 svs 20-39 or 25-31pc+ (1 Viewer)

David Nolan

Stunt Coordinator
well, here's my quandry - i can get a hsu vtf-2 sub tomorrow - order it at least - add another one by christmas - or wait 2 months and get a svs 20-39 or 25-31pc+. would 2 hsu subs do the job of one svs? let me be more specific... i have a room that is rectangular at heart, but has more dimensions than...something with a lot of dimensions. it is essentially 23' x 16' x 21' - which is quite a lot of volume to fill. i currently have 4 klipsch kg 5.5's and 1 kt-lcr as a center. the kg's are rated down to 34hz, the kt 65 hz. they manage to produce a pretty good amount of bass. not incredible, but respectable considering. now, my wife wants a bigger tv by football season (i do too really, but i also want a sub) i can swing the hsu now and add another later, or wait and get one svs granddaddy. i have not had a sub in over a year and am sorely missing it. so my instant gratification would come from a hsu - but if the svs would be that much better, i may be able to wait. my wife prefers loud bass over extension - i'd like a nice balance. any opinions are welcome while i continue my research. thanks

david

CurtisSC

Screenwriter
From what I have read, Hsu subs are a good balance between HT and music, and SVS subs geared more toward HT.

I would call both companies for advice....they are both honest.

You could also call Hsu and ask about "B" stock VTF-3's. Those are more comparable to the 20-39pc+.

Ernest Yee

Supporting Actor
I was under the impression that SVS excelled in both but that it's just so much bigger than any other sub out.

CurtisSC

Screenwriter
When I was researching, the Hsu was reviewed better for music, and SVS for HT.

But they both make great subs.

ross ish

Stunt Coordinator
Also take into account aesthetics. Do you want the cylinder look or a cube? Expect similar performance from either SVS or HSU. Do not equate size and amp power with performance. The VT2 are very compact yet provide output levels that rival much larger cubes.

David Nolan

Stunt Coordinator
i am really rather enamored with the svs cylinder design and i think deep down (pun intended) that's the way i'd rather go. but like i said, it has been a long sub-less year and i'm getting anxious. i'll keep scouring the For Sale postings on-line and can maybe catch a deal. there's also the b-stocks at svs' site - right now they have some of the pci series for sale there. thanks for all of the responses.

david

SVS-Ron

Screenwriter
"From what I have read ... SVS subs geared more toward HT."

It's not worthwhile to comment on some other subwoofer maker's performance in such a subjective context, but for the record, SVS does not "gear" its products more towards one or the other. I certainly can understand how reading various accounts on the web (sometimes written by actual owners!) could give you that impression however. I understand there's no end to the theory that some subs are more "musical" than others but to us it's pure unadalterated bunk.

Not to put too fine a point on it. ;^0

Here's what IS true: Some subs are more accurate than others. And some subs are known to maintain accuracy even at very high sound pressure levels (while some can't). Finally, some subs don't go very low in extension (that is, they can't reproduce deep bass... so called "musical subs" are famous for this incidentally).

Put another way, your sub could not care less about what sort of program material it is producing. Either it is true to the source or it is not. A scan of our reviews pages shows a number of accolades from sound professionals (including one nationally known DJ with decades in the business) about SVS music performance. There's lots more here: http://www.svsubwoofers.com/reviews.htm

The simple fact is, home theater is much more popular than "music only" listening enviroments, and consequently a disproportionate number of people tend to flock to SVS because they ARE fantastic HT performers (not that there aren't OTHER fantastic HT performers out there). If anyone tells you that we somehow design for HT versus music, or there is some sort of inherent design issue that makes them more suited for one or the other, well, send them to us. They have some "learnin' to do". In short it simply isn't true. The ONLY professional review I'm aware of that put us in the room with a Hsu (namely the VTF-3 and the 25-31PCi) basically said music performance was a wash between them. Exactly as we'd expect frankly. http://www.svsubwoofers.com/reviews_mitchell.htm

PS, Ross is dead on the money regarding "don't be swayed by size and amp power" argument, generally speaking. However contrary to what most of the marketing hype would have you believe, physics applies to subwoofers. Unless there is some limitation with quality of components or design (say, one OEM uses poor performing woofers or cheap amps... or the cabinet tuning is inappropriate) the larger cabinet coupled with greater power and a larger displacement woofer is going to dominate in performance every time. So, "similar performance" perhaps, but we don't make a small 10" subwoofer like the VTF-2 so it's hard to compare there.

The PB1-ISD (near sonic twin to the 25-31PCi by the way) should best be compared to VTF-3 given overall capacities on amp, woofer and enclosure size. Again, in the end it's just physics (assuming you want to talk real measurable performance and not some sort of glossy ad marketing psychobable ;^).

Ron

CurtisSC

Screenwriter
Sorry Tom,.....oops...I mean Ron

I didn't mean for it to be a negative...and no way meant that is how you guys design your subs. No hard feelings I hope.

And you are right, there is only one review with subs from both companies in the same room. I was intepreting reviews I have read of each sub, just like you said.

In the end...subs from both companies have great reputations.

curtis

SVS-Ron

Screenwriter
Sorry Tom,

I'm Ron, but I do sometimes fill in for Tom on radio and television shows. I have more hair, that's how you can tell us apart ;^)

I didn't mean for it to be a negative...and no way meant that is how you guys design your subs.

Oh I didn't take it that way at all! It's just like any good urban legend you simply have to get the truth out there and let folks pick and choose their views from that. We've heard the "SVS is better for HT" before and just do the old virtual eye roll and feel compelled to remind readers here that such generalities are fraught with inaccuracy.

No hard feelings I hope.

Curtis, you have to try much harder than that to get on our bad side! We've been to the "Bob_A" school of public discourse and have learned not to argue, just get SVS's public position out as clearly and unemotionally as possible. It's hard sometimes but said prior experience has shown us it's good to have thick skin in this business, and listen well. We improve that way!

It's good to improve when you SHOULD, however, and not based on incorrect impressions, that's all! Music performance of our subs isn't one of them. Just ask ex-LA DJ Jeff McNeal. He's forgotten more about music than most of us ever knew, and he couldn't find a single flaw in terms of "musicality" in his PCi http://www.thebigpicturedvd.com/bigequipment16.shtml . Jeff Fritz at Sound Stage had the same impression with his PC-Plus: http://www.hometheatersound.com/equi...2531pcplus.htm They don't pass out Reviewer's Choice awards to just anyone. It's gotta perform in EVERY regard.

It did, and they always will. Neither Tom or I would ever allow an SVS out the door that didn't perform as well on music as it did with any other program material. End of story.

Ron

Ben Stern

Stunt Coordinator
When I was researching, the Hsu was reviewed better for music, and SVS for HT

I don't mean to be disrespectful Curtis, but this is total nonsense. Both are excellent subs for music and movies, although SV Subs will give you more bang for your buck. Your money is well spent with either one of these two companies. The one disadvantage of the web, is the extraordinary amount of misinformation on it. By the way, I'm a disinterested party, as I own a sub not made by either one of these 2 companies.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Leif_sauce
Recent bookmarks