What's new

2 Hsu subs or 1 used Paradigm Servo 15? (1 Viewer)

Tom Vodhanel

Senior HTF Member
>>>Tom,
Again, thanks for the input. I will definitely look around to demo both the servo 15 and the HGS 12". So if I went with the dual Hsu subs, you're thinking one should be in that right corner next to the opening to the hall and the other one on the left behind the sofa correct?

David_D

Stunt Coordinator
I heard about the VTF-3 on this forum. I think someone saw or heard one at a show or something. So, I emailed Dr. Hsu and asked him. He confirmed that the VTF-3 was coming.
Why don't you email him and ask about features and availability? He is good about answering emails. You can get the email address from the website.

Ben Henry

Grip
Tom,
Good points. I'll let you know what I decide and how it works out.
David,
I emailed Hsu tonight. Will let you know what I get back from them.
Ben

Ben Henry

Grip
Tom,
I had another question for you. I've been looking around online trying to bring myself up to speed on powered subs. I read on the Home Theater Magazine website that you do not want to use the receiver's sub out low cross over and the sub's crossover at the same time. They say you can lose as much as 6 db to this "cascading" crossover method. Of course that's exactly what I thought I would do until now. My Divas are rated to go as low as 27 Hz using two 8" woofs. I figure they can easily go down to 45-50 Hz, so I thought I would run those full range and cross the sub via its built in crossover at 50 Hz after in was already crossed by the receiver at 80 Hz. Now that this method seems to be problematic I'm wondering how else I could do this. If I run from the main preouts to the sub I will still have gain control but I won't be getting info from the other channels to the sub. Why do subs have the variable crossover anyway? It seems like if your receiver (in my case a Denon AVR 4800) has an active crossover, you're stuck with it. If you're using separates you probably have more crossover control anyway and therefore would not need a crossover at the sub. Is this just for a situation where you might have other speakers high passed out of the sub after the sub has received a low level signal from the preamp/receiver? Is Home Theater Magazine just wrong about crossing out of the receiver and then using the sub's crossover to cross again? I have read a lot on the forum about the debate between the use of floorstanders and small monitors w/ subs for these very reasons, but until now had not really thought about all of it. Any advise would be much appreciated.
Ben

Tom Vodhanel

Senior HTF Member
>>>Tom,
I had another question for you. I've been looking around online trying to bring myself up to speed on powered subs. I read on the Home Theater Magazine website that you do not want to use the receiver's sub out low cross over and the sub's crossover at the same time. They say you can lose as much as 6 db to this "cascading" crossover method. Of course that's exactly what I thought I would do until now. My Divas are rated to go as low as 27 Hz using two 8" woofs. I figure they can easily go down to 45-50 Hz, so I thought I would run those full range and cross the sub via its built in crossover at 50 Hz after in was already crossed by the receiver at 80 Hz. Now that this method seems to be problematic I'm wondering how else I could do this.Why do subs have the variable crossover anyway?> It seems like if your receiver (in my case a Denon AVR 4800) has an active crossover, you're stuck with it. If you're using separates you probably have more crossover control anyway and therefore would not need a crossover at the sub. Is this just for a situation where you might have other speakers high passed out of the sub after the sub has received a low level signal from the preamp/receiver? Is Home Theater Magazine just wrong about crossing out of the receiver and then using the sub's crossover to cross again? I have read a lot on the forum about the debate between the use of floorstanders and small monitors w/ subs for these very reasons, but until now had not really thought about all of it. Any advise would be much appreciated.
Ben

Ben Henry

Grip
Tom,
Thanks again for the info. I came to the same conclusion before you posted regarding the crossover point of the HP. I think I'll stick to that unless my ears surprise me with a different opinion.
Thanks,
Ben

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks