What's new

2 Hsu subs or 1 used Paradigm Servo 15? (1 Viewer)

Ben Henry

Grip
Hi all. Have a HT/Living room that is 29x13 with the HT on 1 of the short walls. I can buy a used Paradigm Servo 15 for about 1k or I could get 2 Hsu VTF-2 subs for the same money. The Servo 15 could go lower (16 Hz vs. the VTF-2 at 25 Hz) but I thought I might have better coverage in such a large room with the Hsu subs, and possible more max output. Any opinions would be greatly appreciated.
Ben

Tom Vodhanel

Senior HTF Member
You'll definitely get more output from about 25hz and up with the 2 VTF-2s. The advantage for the servo15 is it will have more output

Ben Henry

Grip
Tom,
Would it change your opinion to know that my mains go down to 27 hz?
James,
In what way do you think the Servo-15 will be better?
Ben

James W. Johnson

Screenwriter
In what way do you think the Servo-15 will be better?
>>>>>>>>>
I am a bottom dweller so low bass is very important to me, I used to own a Servo-15 years back and it was a great performer down low, especially for a sealed cabinet.
The Servo does a great job on everything IMO.
I doubt your mains will reach 27Hz but if they do go ahead and set them to large to increase your bass output, the servo will fill in nicely.

Ben Henry

Grip
James
I suspect you are right in terms of my mains. That is their listed freq. extension but I suspect it's more like 30-40 Hz. Thanks for the info!
Ben

Tom Vodhanel

Senior HTF Member
it's always best to experiment as much as possible...but...
I'd suggest keeping the mains at small.
The lower you keep the overall volume levels...the more the servo15 would be the way to go. If you planned on pushing the levels...approaching reference on occasion...I believe the twin VTFs will have a distinct advantage from about 25-27hz and up. In other words...on about 90% of DVD bass...the VTFs would outgun the servo. However, on the rare DVDs that extend strongly

Ben Henry

Grip
Tom,
First of all, thanks a lot for the advice. Realized you were with SVS. What do you do for them? I had considered SVS subs before, especially since I have an Onkyo Integra dual mono amp that puts out 260 wpc at 4 ohms. I thought that I could power a passive sub or two, but I haven't been able to get my wife comfortable with the looks so far. I'm sure you've heard that before. What would you recommend from SVS with that kind of power? I can't bridge mono the amp by the way. Also, may I just say how classy it is that we're talking subs here and you didn't even mention SVS. Not that you shouldn't have, but that says a lot about you to simply answer my questions.
Ben

Tom Vodhanel

Senior HTF Member
>>>Tom,
First of all, thanks a lot for the advice. Realized you were with SVS. What do you do for them?> I had considered SVS subs before, especially since I have an Onkyo Integra dual mono amp that puts out 260 wpc at 4 ohms. I thought that I could power a passive sub or two, but I haven't been able to get my wife comfortable with the looks so far. I'm sure you've heard that before. Also, may I just say how classy it is that we're talking subs here and you didn't even mention SVS. Not that you shouldn't have, but that says a lot about you to simply answer my questions.
Ben

Ben Henry

Grip
Tom,
Sorry to take so long to reply. I was out of town. So THAT'S who you are. Well, thanks again for the input. The problem is my wife has nixed any tube sub design. Boxes are better to her because at least she can throw a blanket over them. So that means the Hsu TN25s are out as well. This is the room the subs will go in:
http://www.plazare.com/data/home_photos/w81328a.jpg
The only place I can think of is the front left corner, but I really don't want to have to stack them. That's the only place I can think to put them where they are corner loaded. To the right of the camera is the front door and to the left is the door to the upstairs. I have thought that maybe 2 subs would just be too hard to try and set up right, especially around all the furnature. Any thoughts would be appreciated.

Shade Watson

Stunt Coordinator
Ben,
The answer to your dilemma, is the same as for the poor guy who wants to upgrade his Bose Accoustimass system except his wife will only allow him to get something comparably small.
BE A MAN, NUT UP, AND GET THE DUAL 20-39s!
You only live once. Don't let your woman control your bass. That's my motto.
------------------
Don't let your woman control your bass!
[Edited last by Shade Watson on August 03, 2001 at 12:49 AM]

Tom Sullivan

Agent
Looks to me from the picture. The right front corner and behind the left part of the sofa would be good. The right front corner spot looks great, do to the open area on the walls expanding out from where the sub will be. Subs sound best when in the corner when the walls are open to let the sound expand. I had to move my RPTV away from the back wall to let the bass flow.
[Edited last by Tom Sullivan on August 03, 2001 at 01:20 AM]

David_D

Stunt Coordinator
Since you're looking for a non-tube sub...
Besides a pair of VTF-2 subs, you might also consider a single VTF-3, which should be released any time now, from what I understand. The price should be about 850. According to Dr. Hsu, it will extend to below 20Hz.

Mike D.

Stunt Coordinator
Nice looking room, but man, there's gonna be stuff rattling all over the place when you get the kind of base you're talking about in this thread going on! Books on the floor, etc.
I have an SVS 25-31PC and I got some of my son's books to fall off his bookshelf on the second floor of the house! (the home theater room is in the basement!)
-Mike

Randy G

Second Unit
For small size, accuracy, and power, I STILL WIN !! I've got 2 Velo HGS-10s stacked on top of each other in a corner, and in my 14x26x8 ft. room, they kick butt! OK, so they so don't have SVS output, but they ARE still quite satisfying. Now if SVS could come out with something as good in a 2800 cubic inch size, I'd buy it in a heartbeat cause my Velo pair(used mint) cost me $1800.
frown.gif

Greg P

Stunt Coordinator
If you listen to more music, or 40% or more I would definatly go with the servo-15. Its gonna be more "percussive" and I assume a bit quicker. (Its a sealed sub) I have never heard the Hsu, but I really liked the servo that I heard.

Tom Vodhanel

Senior HTF Member
The single servo15 would make a great choice...I don't think I've ever seen a single servo15 owner make a complaint yet. A single VTF-2 would also be a good budget choice...perhaps not quite offering the concussive feeling the servo15 might.
the HGS suggestion is also solid. In your case...a single HGS12 would just about equal a single servo15...and using a smaller enclosure too(that seems to be a priority for you?).
If there's a local VEL dealer nearby, I'd ask them if you could audition a HGS12 out for a weekend.(ditto for the servo15)...I don't think either is going to have a meaningfull performance advantage over the other...but the smaller enclosure of the HGS12 will cost you a a bit more.(all things being equal---you always pay more to get a gvien level of performance from a smaller enclosure).
TV

Ben Henry

Grip
Tom,
Again, thanks for the input. I will definitely look around to demo both the servo 15 and the HGS 12". So if I went with the dual Hsu subs, you're thinking one should be in that right corner next to the opening to the hall and the other one on the left behind the sofa correct? I've heard placing two subs in a room in different locations can cause problems. What should I look out for? If you could direct me to source material which could answer my question that would be fine.
David_D,
Where did you get the info on the VTF-3? I haven't seen anything on his website about it.
Thanks to all,
Ben

Jeremy Hegna

Supporting Actor
Tom...
Isn't it about time you and Ron came up with some lady-friendly sub covers? :) Ya know, maybe a flower pattern or pure white (to blend in with his walls)? :)
Some have mentioned the new offering from Adire Dharma(?) something like that. It is also a cube-like enclosure, not sure about the performance but many folks at HTT are buzzing about it. It's worth the look.
Jeremy

Ben Henry

Grip
Jeremy,
I was thinking Tom could make the box out of clear plexi and paint the driver and amp white... That way I could set the sub next to the mantle and no one would even know it was there!
biggrin.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation821
Recent bookmarks