2 French Classics: Any release planned?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Frederic_A, Nov 20, 2002.

1. Frederic_A

Frederic_A Stunt Coordinator

2. Ted Todorov

Ted Todorov Producer

Zazie dans le métro is out in R2 - Japan. Click here for the Amazon Japan listing.
    Unfortunately I don't speak Japanese, so you're on your own.
    If you do get the Japanese DVD, please tell us about the quality, etc. as I haven't been able to find any reviews...
    Lola was recently shown with a new print at the Film Forum, which is usually a prelude to a Criterion release.
    Ted

3. Frederic_A

Thanks Ted! That's very helpful. Not surprised that Zazie should first be released by the sophisticated (and often francophile) Japanese. [​IMG] I might give it a try, although not in the near future, unfortunately - those prices (including mail) are currently hard to justify given my budget situation... [​IMG]
    Good to hear about Lola, and I hope it does get a Criterion release (If it haden't been Widescreen, I would have been hoping for a PAL version, of course [​IMG] ). Nouvelle Vague fans certainly wouldn't be disappointed.

4. Todd Bennington

Lola & Bay of Angels screened in Mpls a bit ago (with new prints I believe) and per the promo postcards that the theater had, the rights belong to Wellspring. Hopefully these great films will be included in the Wellspring/Criterion rights swap. If you haven't seen Bay of Angels, it's a delight. Would make a great double feature with Bob Le Flambeur.

5. Frederic_A

Interesting! The only other Demy film I've seen is Umbrellas of Cherbourg - very different from Lola and almost saccharine sweet, but strangely fascinating. It seems a lot like a deliberate answer to the Hollywood musical, but with the actors singing EVERY line... [​IMG]
    Lola is indeed a restored print - I saw that mentioned on a website (can't remember which).
    Is Wellspring formerly Fox Lorber? If so, I'm glad to hear about the exchange, though I'm not aware of the reasons behind it. FL seems to own the rights to a fair number of classics, but I can't remember a single widescreen release that was anamorphic.

6. Pascal A

Pascal A Second Unit

Here is the old Winstar Cinema (formerly Fox Lorber, now Wellspring) "coming soon" link that shows Bay of Angels (and also Lola) as theirs. It bodes well for DVD release, considering that the Fassbinder films and Assayas' Sentimental Destinies are (or are in the process of) being released.