What's new

2 DTV Dual Tuner Tivos (1 Viewer)

Johnny Angell

Played With Dinosaurs Member
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Johnny Angell
We currently have to sony dtv boxes, with one dish with a dual lnb. If I were to get to sony t-60s, each with two tuners, does the current dish setup provide the required signals?

I'm thinking not, since both signals are currently used in a two box, single tuner per box setup. What do I need to do to provide the required signals?

Mark_E_Smith

Second Unit
You need a multi-switch that has 2 in and at least 4 out. DTV channels are polorized horizontal and vertical. The receiver changes the voltage to the LNB (through the cable) to switch the polorization at the LNB. A multiswitch fixes one side of the LNB to vertical and the other side to horizontal. The multiswitch then directs the cables from the receiver to the correct polorization (vertical or horizontal). you can have many ( 16 or more) outs from a multiswitch. For the best prices on multiswitches I search ebay and buy on line. Spuan switches are considered the best by most, and I bought a 2X8 for $76. You will find 3X#s and 4X#s and 5X#s some of these will add a antena feed (3Xs and 5Xs)into the sat cable that can be split back out. The 4Xs and 5Xs are for the oval dishes that have 2 dual LNBs.

Note : YOU CANNOT SPLIT A SAT CABLE WITH ANY KIND OF SPLITER it can damage your receiver at worst or you will only get 1/2 of the channels at the least.

Hope this helps.

Johnny Angell

Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Johnny Angell
Mark, do the numbers on the switch mean number of inputs and number of outputs, respectively? So that a 2x8 would be two inputs and 8 outputs?

thanx.

Johnny Angell

Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Johnny Angell
Thanks for all the help. I ended up ordering 2 Phillips DSR6000s and a Perfect Vission 3x4 powered multiswitch. The Philips units were $100 each. As it turns out, the Philips and Hughes and Sony Sat-t60 are all nearly identical.

Mark_E_Smith

Second Unit
As a heads up on the DSR6Ks when you get them they will have the 2.0 software and dual tuners are NOT enabled it will downlaod the 2.5 sw on the 2nd or 3rd call. It will have instructions on how to set up the dual tuner after the sw arrives. As far as I know they have not shipped any with the 2.5 preinstalled. Also look on the remote on the channel button and see if the word page is on the button or the frame below the button. If it is on the button you most likely will have a bad remote. It will be slow and work eradically. Call philips they are replacing them free, but sometimes they get backordered.You are correct about the differences, The Sony has a totally different remote and can control a Sony VCR when you transfer to tape. Doesnt mean you cant transfer to tape with a Philips you just have to start the recorder yourself. IMHO not worth the extra $100 Welcome to the TiVolution.:D
I own both Philips and Sony DTiVos both have been upgraded to 107 HRs and 116 HRs respectively ;)

Johnny Angell

Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Johnny Angell
Thanks for in the inside info, Mark. I'm sure I would have been confused when two two tuners weren't immediately available. I'll be sure to check the remotes also.

And I'm sure we'll want to upgrade the storage too. Now that they're ordered, I'm getting itchy to get them.

Johnny

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks