2 disk DVD's becoming the norm

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Neil Joseph, Oct 4, 2001.

1. Neil Joseph

Neil Joseph Lead Actor

Neil Joseph
    I just had a revelation. I looked at the remaining titles I will be buying for the rest of the year.
    All of them are 2 disk sets...
    - Shrek
    - Episode 1
    - Planet Of The Apes
    - Pearl Harbour
    - Jurassic Park III
    - Matrix/Revisited
    etc etc.
    I love extras but is there evr too much of a good thing?
    ------------------
    http://webhome.idirect.com/~orange1[​IMG]
    ------------------
    My Favourite Movie

2. SteveGon

SteveGon Executive Producer

It depends on the movie. The Phantom Menace needed to be a two-disc set. Patch Adams however...
    ------------------
    He thought on homeland, the big timber, the air thin and chill all the year long. Tulip poplars so big through the trunk they put you in mind of locomotives set on end. He thought of getting home and building him a cabin on Cold Mountain so high that not a soul but the nighthawks passing across the clouds in autumn could hear his sad cry. Of living a life so quiet he would not need ears. And if Ada would go with him, there might be the hope, so far off in the distance he did not even really see it, that in time his despair might be honed off to a point so fine and thin that it would be nearly the same as vanishing.
    -- Charles Frazier, Cold Mountain

3. Clinton McClure

Clinton McClure Casual Enthusiast

Clint
  4. richard plumb

richard plumb Stunt Coordinator

mmm. Put the P&S version on disc two with all the extras. Use 384k DD5.1 to save space, and apply lots of nice edge enhancement. And because we all like extras, don't use too high a bitrate - J6P will never notice anyway.
    Then we can have the whole of disc one for a lovely dual layer presentation in OAR, with 448k DD and a DTS track too.

5. Sean Oneil

Sean Oneil Supporting Actor

Is JP3 2 discs? I did not notice that anywhere in the press release.

6. Aaron Silverman

Aaron Silverman Executive Producer

Aaron Silverman
    Richard, you're a genius!!!!!
    I love this guy! [​IMG]

7. John Thomas

John Thomas Cinematographer

At first, I thought this was getting a bit out of hand. However, upon further review, I'm glad the studios have gone this route. It allows fans of that particular movie to get more from it. However, some of us may like the movie but not to that extent; there should be 1-disc versions available as well. I'd like to listen in on a studio's discussion about offering such versions. I'd imagine it's a headache coming up with the final versions to be made available. Perhaps a classification system would be in order, along a similar path as New Line's products. Family which would be P&S and goofy extras; Buff which would be widescreen, 5.1/DTS (low bitrate), extras concerning the movie itself and not silly games and AVPhile which would be Anamorphic, 5.1/DTS (full bitrate). Just an idea to throw into the ring....
    ------------------
    The only thing we have to fear is fear itself. -Franklin D. Roosevelt.
    My Top 10 of 2000 My Top 10 of 2001

8. Mike Broadman

Mike Broadman Producer

This may seem off-topic, but bear with me:
    The rock band Marillion remastered all of the albums from their first label and released them as double CDs, where the first disc is the album itself and the second disc contains demos, outtakes, live stuff, and other cute little nuggets. The great thing is, it cost the same as single CD. I personally don't care about all that crap on the second disc, but it doesn't matter because I didn't have to pay more for it. Isn't that nice?
    Now, would it be possible to do the same thing for DVDs? That is, put the movie on one disc, make look and sound real pretty, and put the extra stuff on the second, but not charge is more? Or maybe just a little more, like an extra 3 bucks.

9. Sean Moon

Sean Moon Cinematographer

Yes...if you go to two disc sets please put all the extra stuff on disc two with the pan and sacan transfer if there is one. The new mask of zorro special edition has the widescreen version and all the extras on disc one, with the pan and scan and NOTHING else on a seperate dual layered disc...almost want to sell that second disc for a few bucks and get rid of it...its a coaster!
    ------------------
    [​IMG]

10. Gavin K

Gavin K Stunt Coordinator

I enjoy 2 disc sets, but with all of the superbit hoopla going on my question is this? Shouldn't all two disc sets be superbit?
    If you're going to make it a 2 disc set, then put all of the extras on disc two, leaving just the movie and soundtrack on disc one. And knowing this ahead of time, wouldn't the studio then be able to play the movie at a higher bit rate?
    A good example would be Unbreakable. Nothing wrong with the quality, but since there is no audio commentary or extras on disc one, then shouldn't this have been a superbit? Or is there extra cost involved in higher bit rates. I thought you just compressed so everything would fit, and if you have extra bitrate to work with you just don't compress as much. Or am I oversimplifying things?

11. PerryD

PerryD Supporting Actor

Actually, Unbreakable is a good example of the opposite of Superbit. I believe there is something like 5 different soundtracks taking up over 2 Mb/sec bit rate. The picture suffers because of this.

12. Neil Joseph

Neil Joseph Lead Actor

Neil Joseph
    I mean, The Mask Of Zorro is a 2 disk set. I was this close to throwing out the second disk (which is the p&s version with no extras) but I have a thing about marring/modifying a DVD package (I try to keep it original).
    orangeman
    ------------------
    http://webhome.idirect.com/~orange1[​IMG]
    ------------------
    My Favourite Movie

13. Bruce Hedtke

Bruce Hedtke Cinematographer

I'm with most others here in that if a 2 disc set helps with getting a great audio/video presentation, all the better. So far, I haven't come across a title that violates that policy, that's a plus. Remember when getting an hours worth of extra was seemingly a big deal? So many new releases are now in that 3-6 hour range. Seems people want every scrap of info about every film out, no matter how inconsequential the film or the extra. Pretty soon, the extras are going to be spilling back onto the video disc and that would be BAD.
    Bruce
    ------------------
    [​IMG]
    Welcome aboard the Satellite of Love

14. Tina_H_V

Tina_H_V Supporting Actor

Tina
    Actually, I am someone who happened to buy Patch Adams in Ultimate Edition DVD form. And, from what I gather, it does not seem so bad to me.
    Aside from movie, Dolby Digital 5.0, DTS, and director Tom Shaydac's commentary being featured on both discs, there are different supplements on each of the discs enclosed.
    Disc one features a making of movie feature, outtakes, a photograph montage, production notes and cast and filmaker bois and film highlights.
    Disc two features words of wisdom from the actual Dr. Adams HIMSELF, deleted scenes, storyboard-to-film comparisons, the theatrical trailer and production notes.
    I believe one of Universal's principal motivations here could be to cater to the J6P's of the world who loathe ANYTHING WIDESCREEN ON THEIR TV'S IF IT MEANS BLACKBARS, as well as those of us who want it all sans dreaded pan-and-scan, which, a 2.35:1, is what disc two's full-frame feature consists of. Of course, this is just my opinion and I could be wrong. But, if done correctly and orderly, two-disc sets are something to behold on DVD. And from a tail-end laserdisc afficianado, I welcome that here, especially if the potential for greater audio-video presentation is enhanced by a two disc version with its contents spead out throughout two DVD's in one package.
    ------------------
    The Acid Queen Still Rocks and Souls!!!! ;D

15. Colin Jacobson

Colin Jacobson Producer

16. Jason Merrick

Jason Merrick Supporting Actor

Jason Merrick
    PerryD wrote: Actually, Unbreakable is a good example of the opposite of Superbit. I believe there is something like 5 different soundtracks taking up over 2 Mb/sec bit rate. The picture suffers because of this.[/quote]Perry,
    Can you offer specific time points where the picture suffers as you say? I have heard a few people offer this criticism, but I myself have never noticed any flaws watching in anamorphic.
    ------------------
    [​IMG]
    [Edited last by Jason Merrick on October 08, 2001 at 02:50 AM]