2-disc LIFEFORCE SE in the works?

Discussion in 'DVD' started by Mark_TS, Feb 2, 2005.

1. Mark_TS

Mark_TS Screenwriter

just a hint-go to:

http://www.r2-dvd.org/servlet/DBDirect?SQL=UPCOMING
    and scroll down....then look across: "2disc"

No other info;
    this is out with 16:9 enhancement in many territories already, so in following MGMs usual sales protocol, this will come out in Europe first, USA later...

2. Andre Bijelic

Andre Bijelic Stunt Coordinator

Where is an anamorphic version of "Lifeforce" currently available?

3. Mark_TS

Mark_TS Screenwriter

Japan, England, Germany-if sources are correct

CDJAPAN lists it as such-actually 3 editions-the original issue non-16x9
    and the reissue which supposedly IS...

4. Mark_Wilson

Mark_Wilson Screenwriter

I have the Japanese DVD of Lifeforce and I remember it being non-anamporphic.

5. John H Ross

John H Ross Screenwriter

Wow. I'd love to see both versions of this film (the original version with Henry Mancini's score and the truncated version with Michael Kamen's replacement cues) in the same set, along with all the usual goodies. This film is a (very) guilty pleasure.

John

6. David_Blackwell

David_Blackwell Screenwriter

I want to see a SE of LIFEFORCE with both versions of the movie. I love this movie. I have teh movie on VHS and DVD.

7. Glenn Shoemake

Its a guilty pleasure of mine due to the fact of the lovely Mathilda May being the naked SpaceGirl who is charming the Brits while sucking their life with a kiss.

8. John H Ross

John H Ross Screenwriter

Yeah, that too! ;-)

John

9. seanJ

seanJ Agent

Thoroughly enjoyed "Lifeforce" when I saw it on cinema release, one of the best "bad" films I`ve ever seen.
    Awful dialogue but terrific special effects(by Star Wars maestro John Dykstra if I remember rightly)it looked great on the big screen - looking forward to an anamorphic release perhaps with some special features.
    Agree with Glen re Mathilda May - what a babe - did she do many movies after this?

Regards

10. Gordon McMurphy

Gordon McMurphy Producer

The novel, by the great Colin Wilson (who wrote the non-fiction classics, The Outsider, The Occult and Frankenstein's Castle) is actually very good, but the film's pacing and overly senuous style ruin the tension and intrigue. Wilson says as much in his excellent autobiography, Dreaming to Some Purpose. But the film has some neat moments, especially the spooky begining. It's certainly a cult film, but I'm not sure if it really warrants a lavish special edition.

11. Mark_TS

Mark_TS Screenwriter

actually Gordon, you are right-it probably doesnt merit an SE out of all the films that DO-but it is likely the only way MGM will give it an anamorphic transfer, which it does deserve.

I read somewhere fairly reliable recently that Hooper originally did a 128-minute cut, which was pared down to 116 for Europe, then 101 for America.
    Most of the cut footage is said to be exploring the Vampire ship in more detail-thats gotta be a good thing [​IMG]

I also prefer the great Micheal Kamen's (with James Guthrie) added score and music cues-though Mancini's main theme is quite fabulous-

I too, read the book before seeing the movie-and it seemed a whole lot less frenzied-

12. Mike_Richardson

Mike_Richardson Supporting Actor

You prefer Kamen and Guthrie's horrible synth cues over what Mancini wrote? I love some of Kamen's work, but their material for this movie was simply awful, bridging a few scenes with poky electronics that really clashed with the rest of the score.

Even in the short US version most of the music is Mancini's (albeit poorly chopped up). Kamen's work was a late addition when the movie was cut down, and it's actually quite minimal all told. I've never gone back to that version after the full International Cut was released.

13. Mark_TS

Mark_TS Screenwriter

Some of the cues come at key moments in the film-though minor, they add a touch that seems missing or "empty" when seeing the longer cut -to myself at any rate;

Some added eerie music as the alien ship does the 'umbrella' trick and as Carlson is 'called' into the crypt room...
    An eerie string squeal as the shuttles dock above Earth-
    the foreboding cue added as the questioning of Patrick Stewart/Matilda May comes to an abrupt end-
    the 'apocalyptic grandeur' cue as all hell breaks loose as they fly back to London and we see buildings explode as they learn what has been going on over the radio...
    there are a few others I forget at the moment-
    minor-but still appreciated