What's new

2 digital lines into 1 digital input? (1 Viewer)

Brian:K

Auditioning
Is it ok to run 2 digital lines into 1 digital input on a receiver/amp? Both my DVD player and digital cable box have a digital audio out, but my Onkyo receiver only has 1 rca-style digital input (the 2nd digital input is optical). As long as only 1 is active at a time I don't think this will be a problem, but I wanted to double-check.

Is there a chance of causing any damage to the receiver if both the DVD player and digital cable box were on at the same time?

Robert Cowan

Supporting Actor
well, its not going to blow up if that's what you are asking. you can easily give it a try and see if it works. i dont think it will, but if it does, there should be little to no harm done.

John Garcia

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
Use a video switchbox from somewhere like Radioshack. Coaxial digital and video cables are essentially identical.

Leo Kerr

Screenwriter
That's where I lucked out... my receiver has both optical and coax for some inputs, and a simple precidence list... optical takes priority over coax over analog stereo.

I'd really recommend either buying a cheap passive video switch from someone like Rip Shack, or even building one of your own. It isn't hard; for what you're doing, you can probably get away with a DP-DT switch and three coax panel-mount connectors and a bit of 24ga wire.

Leo Kerr

Brad_Harper

Stunt Coordinator
Just go buy a Y connector (two inputs/one output)and don't worry about it. You cannot ruin the digital input by having both on at the same time. The noise coming out of you speakers won't be pretty but you will not break anything. Receivers are designed to handle bad things like this.

This is exactly like having 2 sources playing at the same time on your computer.

Auditioning
Thanks for the info! I think I'll try the Y-adapter first (which was what I hoped would work). I just wanted to hear from someone more knowledgeable that it shouldn't harm my receiver.

If it catches fire and explodes, I'll be sure to come back and warn everyone ;)

Auditioning
Time to revive this post. I finally bought a Y-cable and connected both the digital cable STB and the DVD player, and only the STB worked. The DVD player won't pass sound thru if the STB is also connected (whether it's on or not). Very interesting! But I have no idea why.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NHCondon
Recent bookmarks