2 Digital audio sources, 1 input?

Discussion in 'Home Theater Projects' started by Steve*O, Nov 29, 2005.

1. Steve*O

Steve*O Auditioning

I'm wondering if anyone has ever tried this. I have a DVD player and an HDTV tuner which both have coaxial digital outputs. Rather than run two audio lines across the room, I'm wondering if I could just use a simple "Y" splitter and run one line to the coaxial digital input on my onkyo amplifier.
    Could that cause a problem if both devices were powered at the same time, in effect sending two data streams to the amp simultaneously? Would a simple two-way switch be better solution?

thanks'

steve

2. Philip Hamm

Philip Hamm Lead Actor

A splitter won't work. A two way switch will.

3. john.h

john.h Auditioning

A switch would work best. The Y works for splitting outputs, not so sure about joining inputs. One thing about the Y is that it does not retain the quality of audio/video or whatever you are splitting. I bought a CSM42 matrix switch from Video Storm LLC to do something like this except I had a 4 inputs instead of 2. Just search for CSM42 matrix switch with google or whatever browser you use.

Cheers,
    John

4. ChristopherDAC

ChristopherDAC Producer

Heck, you can just use a simple manual video switch. Digital audio data is coded in a format based on video, and in the video frequency range, so this will work just fine.

5. Steve*O

Steve*O Auditioning

Thanks for all the replies. Does anyone know what would happen if you sent two digital audio streams to the same input simultaneously?

steve

6. ChristopherDAC

ChristopherDAC Producer

In a word, chaos. The two outputs should be OK, the line drivers are pretty robust [although you always run a certain risk of damaging a voltage source if you apply an extra voltage across it]. At the input, there will be the sum of two eye patterns [which may be of different frequencies!], and the detector won't be able to find a clear lock-in. Most likely, it will mute.

7. Philip Hamm

Philip Hamm Lead Actor

It will not work. You will get whatever error code your DAC can display from the nonsensical signal it gets. Most likely silence. Try if if it makes you happy to do so.

8. Jay H

Jay H Producer

Jay
    If you have two digital inputs going to your preamp/dd processor, you would get mishmash and probably your Digital Processor would have a hard time to lock onto the audio signal.

I use a Y splitter to share 1 toslink input with both my DishNetwork Satellite receiver and an Xbox. If for some reason, both are on and sending a dignal to my DD processor, it simply goes in and out of lock and you get nothing from the speakers or at best, just some noise when it goes in and out of lock.

So it depends on what devices you are using whether you can use a Y splitter or an actual switch. With my Xbox and Satellite receiver, I can use a simple switch.

Jay

9. john.h

john.h Auditioning

Hmm...may sound like a lot of garbage or nothing at all. I don't think it would blow your reeiver if you tried it.

Cheers,
    John