What's new

2 Denon 3802 questions - dullness in voices/slight hiss in all channels (1 Viewer)

Tom_Mack

Stunt Coordinator
Well, I'm back. I still think that many of my DVDs sound a little dull. I think I need to change my definition of "dull" though. Everything sounds clean and not muffled (I think that the better power strip help some), but it sounds like the treble tone control has been turned down about half way. From the upper vocal ranges to trumpets and other higher pitched instruments there is a sense of reality missing from these upper pitches.

Some selections sound fine: for example the songs from Toy Story 2 sounded very good and oddly enough the Dolby Surround DVD of LA Story had more natural sounding voices (although badly recorded) than some of the perfectly recorded DVDs such as AI.

A good example of a DVD that I know is well recorded, but sounds like its missing some treble is Moulin Rouge. When Zidler pushes open the doors and starts singing "The show must go on", it really seems to me that the treble output is about 5 db less than it should be. It may just be upper frequency ambient sound that I am expecting to hear and instead it has a slight canned feel to it.

I know, I know....I should just bring it in to Tweeter to be checked, but I guess I don't want to be without the receiver for 2 weeks, but I guess I will have to deal with with my old Yamaha that makes my ears bleed from the brightness!

Mifr44

Screenwriter
Real Name
Michael
Tom,

I hate to suggest this, because I do not want to be the person responsible for any potential damage to your components, but have you tried your system without the power strips and surge protectors and connect directly to the wall socket(s)? This might require you to only connect a couple of components (i.e. receiver and DVD player) to perform this test.

Michael

Tom_Mack

Stunt Coordinator
Well, I watched "13 Ghosts" last night with the receiver plugged into the wall instead of the powerstrip and still the upper midrange and treble seem to be slightly, but noticably, lacking. But afterwards, I watched South Park on Cable and the voices sounded more natural than the DVDs! I am guessing that the D/A converter is the issue. I'm going to disconnect the Denon and bring it in for service and also reconnect my old Yamaha and see if I hear any improvment in this range.

When the voices in South Park sound more realistic than "Moulin Rouge" I'm sure that there is a problem!

Earl Simpson

Supporting Actor
Tom, I have a hard time hearing any difference in the DACS between my m333es and my 3802. To me the 3802 DACS seem to have cleaner bass. But I do not notice any problems with my DVD or CD players. 10000000 times better than DBS. As I first posted way back,cables or rcvr, and I will add to the list your DVD player. But I'm leaning towards your 3802 as the problem. I hear a hiss at max volume on an empty channel. Not cool to do that!!!!!! A little less hiss at max volume with a used input and the device in pause.

Tom_Mack

Stunt Coordinator
I just finished playing "The show must go on" scene again from Moulin Rouge on the 3802. Still sounds "good" and clean, but dull from upper mid range on. I disconnected everything and hooked up the Yamaha v-596. Practicaly no hiss with ear to tweeter and the same scene has very natural sounding brass/strings/voices. The Yamaha has a much less clean sound due to the cheaper amps and it definately too bright on the extreame upper end but its not messing with the upper midrange and lower treble at all. Definately something wrong with the receiver. After way too much delay, it goes back tonight for repair. Thanks for your patience!

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation111
Recent bookmarks