What's new

2 days till DUMBO.... any reviews? (1 Viewer)

Jose Q

Stunt Coordinator
I got a copy and the picture quality is nothing to write home about.
I guess after Snow White and its awesome restoration we all have become a bit spoiled. Also, as it was stated before by someone, the smoking crows scene has been edited.
But hey, at least you get a paper cut out build-it-yourself train or whatever that is (you'll see) .

Jay W

Supporting Actor
Does anyone know what the deal is with this release and the Platinum Series by Disney? Possible this may get re-issued? I haven't kept up with Disney's plans so if anyone knows a heads up would be appreciated :).

Bjorn Olav Nyberg

Supporting Actor
his was what DVD savant ot DVD talk had to say about the cut Dumbo
You might not be aware that several minutes were snipped from DUMBO so long ago that nobody remembers them. In a very fluid movie, you'll note quite a number of sudden fade outs and fades-ins right in the middle of music cues. Well .... there were several scenes with the jive-talking crows - the ones who are NOT black stereotypes, just cool cats who are the hippest bunch in the movie. They showed it to us at UCLA about 1973, and in the print we saw, the crows show up at regular intervals to comment like a Greek chorus on the events of the film - criticizing the elephants mostly, and feeling sorry for Mrs. Jumbo and Dumbo. And they were funny. But since they're cool characters, talkin' jive, they had to go! In the cut print shown now, the crows barely show up to teach Dumbo how to fly with the magic feather.(Savant always loved the REAL moral of DUMBO: if you wanna fly, you gotta get drunk!)
I have never seen this material, in fact I didn't even know something was cut until I read the savant article (Archived here: http://www.dvdtalk.com/dvdsavant/s113falco1.html )
Chauncey; would you say it seems like these elements are restored in the UK DVD? This one - http://www.blackstar.co.uk/video/item/7000000050563
------------------
Click here if you want to see Looney Tunes on DVD!
"You're 10 seconds away from the most embarrassing moment of your life!"
Click here to admit you want to see Ford Fairlane on DVD!
DVD List Link Removed

Rain

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rain
Interestingly, the page you gave the link to for the Region 2 version lists a running time of 90min. The usual running time I've seen is 64min. Seems unlikely though that, even if the crow footage is intact in the Region 2, that it would amount to 26min, would it?
------------------
RainHTFpic.jpg

"Imagine all the people, living life in peace..." - Imagine by John Lennon
Anyone in the Vancouver Canada area interested in a meet? Click here

Users who are viewing this thread