2 Computer Problems

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Adam Sanchez, Jan 8, 2002.

1. Adam Sanchez

Adam Sanchez Supporting Actor

I'm having a few problems and I am hoping someone can help me. I'm out of things that I know how to try.

First thing is minor: My Home PC is a Dell Dimension Pentium III 850. I recently installed the lastest BIOS (Which is actually not new at all) but now every time the computer is booted up it counts my RAM from 1 to 512. How can I stop it from doing that? It's like it's doing it everytime.

Second thing and this has been giving me alot of problems. The same computer has 2 Hard drives. the main 20 gig it came with, and a second 17 gig. The 20 is the prime of course and the 17 is the slave. For some reason unknown to me, the 2nd hard drive has been having major problems. When I boot the computer it shows up in the dos bios screen and SOMETIMES it's there when windows loads, but 95% of the time it isn't there by the time windows loads and if it is there everything is so slow and if I try to access it it freezes up. I've replaced my IDE Master/Slave Cable, and even change the power plug for the drive but nothing seems to work. I don't think it's the drive, it's not even a year old and I hardly even use it. I suppose it could of just went bad... but any ideas?

Thanks.

2. JohanK

JohanK Second Unit

For first question, go into BIOS and go under the BOOT menu. See if there is something titled Quick Boot or similar and enable it.

Problem with HDD sounds like drive may be faulty. I had similar problems with a faulty drive. W/ me, WD drives don't seem to last but they were older than 1 year.

Have you tried re-formatting the 17GB HDD, making it bootable, attaching it alone as master on primary IDE and seeing if it would boot?

3. Hugh M

Hugh M Second Unit

also see if Escape key gets you past the memory test.upon boot-up..maybe that key is different or non-existant on some systems though.

4. Brian_Gruver

Brian_Gruver Auditioning

The hdd problems does sound like a faulty drive. I just had to replace a hd in a Pentium IV Dell that I bought not even a year ago.

5. Mike Voigt

Mike Voigt Supporting Actor

Sounds like the drive is getting flaky. I'd replace ASAP, so you can save your data. While you're at it, go get a nice 80GB or so, or go double with 2 40GB. That gives loads of room, and you can implement some data security protocols - like RAID, putting your OS on one drive (20GB), and everything else on the other HD, and others.

Mike

6. Adam Sanchez

Adam Sanchez Supporting Actor

Thanks guys.
    I got the RAM check fixed easy enough. I should of looked closer for that Quickboot option. [​IMG]
    I guess the other drive is bad. :-( I just wish I could get it working ONE more time so I could get stuff off it... it only has about a gig worth of stuff and I can replace it (mostly setups) I just hate to go through the trouble. When that drive is plugged in, my system lags like the world is ending. But when it's not plugged in, it works smoothly. Ah well.

7. Hugh M

Hugh M Second Unit

it is probably a bad drive and it is reverting to a 'pre-historic" transfer mode which is driving the CPU crazy.