2 Computer Network..........

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Nick_Murphy, Jan 28, 2002.

1. Nick_Murphy

Nick_Murphy Agent

Ok, I understand that there is a way to link 2 computers together via internet/file sharing with 3 network cards, 1 computer have 2 and the other having 1. My question is how this is done, i'm assuming there is a protocol/client that i'm to configure in order for this to work. I'm also hearing that it can only be done with win98 or later systems, which is fine for me, but just stating a myth! (hehe) so if anyone has some info on this could you please post it or send a friendly e-mail? much appreciated!

2. Jesse Leonard

Jesse Leonard Second Unit

What operating system are the two computers running? Things are slightly different for different OS's.

3. Brian E

Brian E Screenwriter

That used to be the way most people were doing things if they wanted to share a cable connection. With routers now being so cheap that's the route most take now. That way you can access the net from either machine without the need for the one with two cards to always be on. For info on networking try http://www.wown.com
    What kind of connection do you want to share?

4. Nick_Murphy

Nick_Murphy Agent

hehe, actually i have the network cards to do it, and i already have a hub, i'm actually going to use the computer with the 2 network cards to act as a hub and save me $100 or so. And for Jesse's question I'm going to be running 98 on the one doing the "routing" hehe, now shouldn't i need to just set up a "normal" network setting on the other computers after it goes to the hub? thanx again, later!

5. Peter McDonald

Peter McDonald Stunt Coordinator

One warning, the computer with the 2 network cards has to be on all the time when the computer with only one network card wants internet access. If you even restart the computer with the two cards, the other computer will lose access to the net until the computer has restarted...

Peter

6. Nick_Murphy

Nick_Murphy Agent

Yeah i'm going to be using a P133 for this, hehe, i mean it's just sittin in my closet scratching it's %$#! so why not put it to use as well, thanx for the point though Peter!

7. Darren Lewis

Darren Lewis Supporting Actor

Hi Nick, welcome to the HTF. I have done exactly waht you propose and it's working fine.
    I'll try to explain things, but have a look at the tutorial on Practically Networked as they explain things very well.
    I'm running Windows 2000, and I think things are similar in 98 (Might need the SE though)
    I have two 10/100 PCI NICs in my machine, one connected to my broadband cable box (ie the modem), the other connected to my hub (you don't need a hub if you only have two computers). This machine from now is known as the server.
    The second computer (and in my case my laptop too) have a single 10/100 NIC in each, connected to the hub. In your case you will connect to your server machine via a crossover cable. This second machine is the client.
    When you go to your network connections window on your server. You should see two LAN connections. One is to the cable modem, the other is to the internal network (your own private LAN).
    I've renamed mine to make them easier to differentiate. On the internet connection, you want to share this - there's a little box that you tick. A message should pop up about the IP address of the internal LAN.
    This method uses Windows built in Network Address Translation (NAT) software known as ICS.
    You should now be able to access the internet from both PCs (Set the connection to LAN in Internet Explorer).
    The server box will always have to be on and connected for the slave to access the interenet.
    Hope that makes sense [​IMG] I'd really recommend the tutorials at the above link - they have pictures and explain it a bit better than me.
    If you have any problems, please ask.

8. Darren Lewis

Darren Lewis Supporting Actor

**UPDATE**
    To use my method above you need at least Windows 98SE.

9. Nick_Murphy

Nick_Murphy Agent

Hey thanx sooooo much for the reply Darren! I'm going to make it my goal to get it up and running by today, and thanx to everyone else's posts! [​IMG] and no worries i'm using a version of win98 SE so i'm set! later!