1. Sign-up to become a member, and most of the ads you see will disappear. It only takes 30 seconds to sign up, so join the discussion today!
    Dismiss Notice

2-Channel via a DVDP

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Ron Reda, Oct 8, 2001.

1. Ron Reda

Ron Reda Cinematographer

If I am using my DVDP for 2-channel stereo, should I be using the PCM setting on the DVDP to send the signal via the digital coax cable or should I use the analogue setting and run two cables (in addition to the digital coax) from my DVDP to my receiver?
    I think I know the answer to this one, but I just wanted to be sure...

2. Steve T

Steve T Stunt Coordinator

If you set the digital output to PCM, you should still get an analog output as well. This way you can connect both the coax digital and analog outputs to your receiver or pre/pro and compare the DACs (DVDP vs. receiver). Depending on the DVDP, you may like the players DAC better than the receiver's, or the other way around. Since I have a DVDP with DVD-A, I can use either the player's digital or analog output for 2 channel uncompressed LPCM. I don't honestly know which DAC I like better, so I use both.

3. Ron Reda

Ron Reda Cinematographer

Steve T,
    Thanks for the reply. I thought I remembered reading that one should always use analogue outputs for music, but I couldn't be sure. Isn't analogue supposed to provide more "warmth" to CDs?
    At least if I make both connections, I can keep the digital coax running to the DVD input of the receiver and then hook the analogue cables to the CD input of the receiver. Then, the only "switching" I will have to do would be in the DVDP's settings for output.

4. StephenBlack

StephenBlack Auditioning

As Steve T indicated, the quality of the sound depends on the DAC. Since the audio on a CD is stored digitally, just like on a DVD, it must be converted to analog at some point before it reaches the drivers in you speaker system. As far as sound quality is concerned, where the conversion happens is irrelevant. All that matters is the quality of the DAC. (Obviously I'm ignoring all the other components and cables here.) So the suggestion about using both connections and comparing the sound quality is a good one. Of course, if the DACs in your DVDP and AVR are similar, it might be hard to decide.
    If you decide to let the AVR do the work, a Y adapter for your digital cable might let you use 2 separate digital connections and preserve separate settings for DVD and CD. I've yet to find such a Y adapter though, so I'm using TOSLINK for DVD and PCM for CD.
    ------------------
    Stephen C. Black

5. Ron Reda

Ron Reda Cinematographer

StephenBlack,
    Thanks for the thorough explanation. It makes sense now.
    Is it safe to say that the DAC in my Denon 3802 are better than the one in my Toshiba SD1600 DVDP?
    Regards,
    Ron