2-channel to Multi-channel conversion

Discussion in 'Speakers & Subwoofers' started by Yunalesca, Aug 30, 2006.

1. Yunalesca

Yunalesca Auditioning

Hi everybody I'm new here and I'm in a quite need of help.... I'm not from US, so my choices in the hardware are limited and not very similar to yours there.

If I have 2-channel audio output (left and right) for example Playstation or Video digital reviecer and I want that to work on humble creative 5.1 speakers what do I need to make the conversion. I thought I could use creative sound blaster live it may do the conversion to me but I don't now. I don't plan to get very big set since I'm limited on the budget so please any recommendation or solutions you may offer I'll appreciate it

2. Grant B

Grant B Producer

You really can't get multicahannel out of 2 channel. Dolby pro logic will do this for you.
    If you have either a optical or coaxial digital output from your Playstation or Video digital reviecer you will get a 5.1 output.
    Does that help?

3. ChrisWiggles

ChrisWiggles Producer

You would need some kind of processor that has multichannel capability, there are many ways to go to multichannel from stereo, most usually Dolby Pro Logic variations. There is also Circle surround, DTS Neo6, Logic7, etc etc.

4. Yunalesca

Yunalesca Auditioning

It does help alot but are you sure I can't do that without the optical output?because my main focus is the sattelite receiver that doesn't contain optical output!

5. ChrisWiggles

ChrisWiggles Producer

You cannot get 5.1 without digital output of some kind, or on-board decoding and 6 analog outs.

6. Yunalesca

Yunalesca Auditioning

So if I get the device that contain this processor will I be able to convert 2-cannel to multi-channel like the devices you listed above?

Can you check for me please if any of these sound blaster has this feature and can do it for me but without the need to plug them into computer I mean the external sound blasters.

http://www.creative.com/products/welcome.asp?category=1

7. Yunalesca

Yunalesca Auditioning

So how can I have this on-board decoding and 6 analouge outs can you explain the configuration for me here?

8. ChrisWiggles

ChrisWiggles Producer

If you are getting HD satellite channels that are broadcast in Dolby Digital, you cannot get the DD unless you have digital output. I am not aware of any satellite or cable boxes or OTA HD tuners that decode DD internally and output that in analog 5.1, but I could be mistaken. So in all cases I am aware of you need digital output for that.

As for all the other channels or other content that is stereo, then you would need some kind of matrix surround decoding for that, which would be available on pretty much any reasonably modern (within the last many years) surround processor.

9. Yunalesca

Yunalesca Auditioning

So What do they call this device that do the matrix surround decoding? can you name a brand or something for this device ?

I gotta tell you that I'm very clueless in sound system field and all I want is just convert 2 channel two multi-channel so that I can hookup my 2-channel anything-device with my creative 5.1 to enjoy the dolby feature with very small cost something like not more that $ 50

10. ScottCHI

ScottCHI Screenwriter

Sure you can.

You just apply one of the multichannel DSPs (like DPLII) in your receiver (or processor) to the particular source's 2-channel analog output.

Voila. Multichannel from a 2-channel source.

11. ChrisWiggles

ChrisWiggles Producer

I was referring to discrete 5.1 sources namely DD. You cannot get that unless you have digital output or internal decoding and 6x analog out. That's quite clear in my last post.

12. ScottCHI

ScottCHI Screenwriter

In reading the thread, especially the OP's responses (like post #4), my concern is that he's been mislead into thinking he needs a digital connection to "get multichannel from 2-channel", which, as you stated in post #3, is not necessary.

13. ChrisWiggles

ChrisWiggles Producer

Correct, for just stereo sources, any processor/receiver with matrix surround capability such as PL will do just fine.

The only reason I mention the 5.1 issue is because he's using a satellite receiver, it's possible he's getting HD channels which would broadcast in DD, possibly with significant program material in 5.1.