2-channel stereo receiver

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by STLMIKE, Dec 24, 2002.

1. STLMIKE

STLMIKE Stunt Coordinator

For my home office, I have a Philips CD burner and a pair of small JBL bookshelfs that I want to get a good quality 2 channel stereo receiver for.

I've seen the Onkyos, Denons, HKs, and Marantz. Any other ideas? Preferably, it wouldn't cost a fortune.

Thanks,
    Mike

2. Danny Tse

Danny Tse Producer

Mike,
    I just placed an order for an refurbished Onkyo TX-8211 from J&R for $99.88 + shipping. Total of approximately $117.00. One year Onkyo factory warranty and includes remote. Not bad at all.
    [​IMG]
    At the same time, you can purchase a refurbished Harman/Kardon 3370 stereo receiver from harmanaudio.com for $147.00 + shipping. Full HK warranty, remote, main-in/pre-out, and subwoofer output.
    [​IMG]
    Often overlooked, but Pioneer Elite has a promising integrated amp, the A-35R, that list for $250.00. You can get one for $139.00 at expressaudiovideo.com.
    [​IMG]

3. Pete Gia

Pete Gia Stunt Coordinator

Don`t know what your budget is,but the small NAD`s are nice.

4. Danny Tse

Danny Tse Producer

Yawaonline.com has good prices on NAD receivers/integrated amps. They're authorized as well.

5. STLMIKE

STLMIKE Stunt Coordinator

I've considered both the Onkyo and the HK, but didn't know about the reconditioned units. From an internal perspective, I don't have a concern about a refurb, but I wonder if they come in w/scratched face plates, etc. I want the unit to look new, even if it isn't.

Anyone have any experience w/refurbs like this?

6. Danny Tse

Danny Tse Producer

Mike,
    I understand your concern. I've wondered about that myself. There's a review at www.audioreview.com from a person who purchased the Onkyo TX-8211 from J&R. I figured I can live with very minor cosmetic imperfections for basically 50% off the regular price. I guess I will find out soon enough.