What's new

2 Channel SACD Playback: which unit sounds best? (1 Viewer)

J

John Morris

Of these 2 Sony units:
1. SCD-c333es
2. SCD-c222es
Which of these two units sounds best for regular CD playback?
For 2 channel SACD and CD playback, does the SCD-c555es sound better than either of the previous two units?
Thanks!
------------------
Take Care,
merc
----------------
Link Removed
God Bless America!!!

KeithH

Senior HTF Member
John, I have not compared the 'C222ES and 'C333ES directly, but an owner of both units who posts on Audio Asylum's Hi-Rez Highway every so often claimed recently that the 'C222ES is better in two-channel mode. That's saying a lot given the quality of the 'C333ES.
I would not be so surprised if the 'C222ES were better in stereo mode than the 'C333ES. The 'C222ES uses a new three-DAC system that is not used in the 'C333ES. The 'C222ES uses Burr-Brown model DSD 1702 DACs. So, it could very well be that the 'C222ES is using better DAC technology than the 'C333ES. I can't say for sure, nor can I comment on the relative quality of the analog output stages in the two players. One thing that is definitely true is that the 'C333ES is built better (23 lbs. for the 'C333ES with a door covering the carousel drawer and 16 lbs. for the 'C222ES with no door).
If you are considering the 'C555ES and it is within your budget, I'd grab it. From all accounts I've read and discussions I've had with Jim Oade of Oade Bros., the 'C555ES is the best unit of the three. The 'C555ES offers the same door and frame-and-plate chassis as the 'C333ES, so it is built better than the 'C222ES (the 'C555ES weighs 24 lbs.). Also, the 'C555ES uses a three-DAC system with Burr-Brown PCM 1738 DACs, which are considered to be significantly better than the DACs used in the 'C222ES. Don't let the PCM designation in the 'C555ES DAC model number bother you. The 'C555ES possesses DSD DACs, so SACDs are not processed through a PCM DAC.
In case you are not aware, Sony dropped the retail price of the 'C555ES last week from $1700 to $1200. In response to this move, Oade Bros. just dropped their price on the player from $1075 to $775, which includes shipping. I feel the 'C555ES is a steal for $775. I will be getting the 'C555ES for multi-channel SACD in my home theater and for use as a carousel CD changer in my main stereo system at some point. It's a great piece.
------------------
My:
HT Pics ; Equipment List ; DVD Collection ; LD Collection
KeithH: Saving the Home Theater World Before Bedtime

Kevin T

Screenwriter
john:
why not chime in over at the group purchase thread for the 555? i believe chip, keith, and i have already expressed serious interest in the unit. let's keep fanning the flames guys and see what kind of deal we can get!!
kevin t

KeithH

Senior HTF Member
Kevin, good idea, but Chip told me he ordered a 'C555ES from Oade Bros. yesterday. He said it was the last one they had in stock, but they are supposed to be getting more in. I seriously doubt that a group purchase will yield a better price than $775 delivered, unless there were very significant demand, which the dealer may not be able to meet anyway. I don't think of the 'C555ES as a very high-production piece. That said, getting more people to chime in for the 'C555ES on the group purchase thread certainly can't hurt.
------------------
My:
HT Pics ; Equipment List ; DVD Collection ; LD Collection
KeithH: Saving the Home Theater World Before Bedtime

Chip E

Screenwriter
Hey Keith, i tried to call Oade Bros. yesterday when i came home from work about the shipping, both phones were busy from 5:30 on... i'll try again today. Tracking the C555ES, i could possibly have it Friday. Hey!, i couldn't find the weight of the C555ES anywhere, thanks Keith! 24lbs is hefty, almost as heavy as my 9K is at 28lbs.
- Chip

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks