What's new

2 channel for dummies (1 Viewer)

Chad Isaacs

Supporting Actor
Last my wife ( more on that later) and I were talking about how much we ( I ) would like to get into 2 channel audio. We have a nice onkyo / jbl 7.1 system with a projector and 110" screen so that end is covered but we both enjoy music as well and our system just does not do justice on music.

We don't have the biggest budget to work with and we would have to do this in steps... I just don't know where to start.We want a good record player ( is that even a word anymore) and a pair of good full range speakers and of course something to power them with and probably a good cd player as well, we use my Oppo 971 dvd player now.

I would like / perfer speakers that don't need a sub but im not opposed to getting 1 or 2 subs if needed.

So can you help me put together a good budget 2 channel setup?

Oh, I promised I would explain why my wife really wants this too. I was listening to Van Morrison on the radio and said how much I would like to have a record player because our system just does not sound right for music like this. She did not agree or disagree with that as its just noise to her but she did say how much she would like to have a record player and stories about when she was a kid. I said yeah, I would love to have that and tube amps and full range speakers and she said how nice that would be but I know tubes are out of my price range!

Alon Goldberg

Screenwriter
Real Name
Alon Goldberg
Several questions to get you started:

1. What are the dimensions of the room?
2. What genres of music do you two listen to?
3. What is your budget?

Next decision to be made is if you would like to purchase separates (preamp, poweramp, and tuner), or would like to purchase an integrated amp and tuner, or if you would like just a stereo receiver.

You will also want to budget for a turntable, cd player, speakers and interconnect cables.

If you are on a limited budget you may want to consider purchasing some gear used from Audiogon.

Alon Goldberg

Screenwriter
Real Name
Alon Goldberg
Here are a couple of budget hifi stereo systems to consider (prices are retail, I'm sure you could negotiate them down):

NAD C162 Stereo Preamplifier $699
NAD C272 Stereo Power Amplifier $699
NAD C422 Stereo Tuner $299
NAD C542 CD Player $499

Total: $2,196

NAD C372 Integrated Amp $899
NAD C422 Stereo Tuner $299
NAD C542 CD Player $499

Total: $1,697

On top of this you would need a turntable, speakers, interconnect cables, audio cables and speaker cables.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks