2 Channel Carver Amps

Discussion in 'AV Receivers' started by Ruben A, Jan 27, 2006.

1. Ruben A

Ruben A Extra

I am now ready to move into separates for music listening and have the opportunity to purchase one of 3 Carver amps:
    M 1.5, PM 1.5, or M 1.5t. Has anyone here used any of these amps or know anything about them regarding sound quality (in comparison to other of same price point) or buit quality, etc. Do you know what is the main difference between them?
    I greatly appreciate your inputs.

2. Greg Bright

Greg Bright Second Unit

Gregory Bright
    I have no idea about the differences between the three amps you list, but I have an M-1.5t that is spectacular. I have it driving my L/R fronts in a HT setup using a Sony DB930 receiver as a pre-amp. Going from 100wpc to 350wpc was an eye-opening experience. Not that I listen to music any louder (even though I now can), but the distortion, glare, and graininess that so often show up at high levels just disappears. Highly recommended.

3. Ruben A

Ruben A Extra

Thanks for the response.
    Since posting this I have looked at several other amps for my home set up and I am down to two brands: Carver or Adcom. As far as the Adcom I like the GFA 555 rated at 200W into 8 ohms, and can be bridged. Has anyone here been lucky enough to have listended to both Carver as well as Adcom to provide some first hand info?

4. Phil_O

Phil_O Stunt Coordinator

I have an old Carver analog ProLogic receiver (HTR 880) that is really good for music. Sounds much better (in 2 channel mode) than the Denon 3805 I mainly use now, and I still use it in another room. I know you're going for a separate amp, but I'll vouch for Carver's sound quality.

5. gclute

gclute Auditioning

Greg
    I also have a M-1.5t and am just looking into HT. How are you able to use the Carver along with the receiver?

6. Michael Harris

Michael Harris Screenwriter

Some receivers, such as my Yamaha A-2, allow the user to bybass the built in amp for the mains and feed into a seperate power amp. For example, my A-2 powers the center and surrounds and I use the bybass to feed my mains via my dbx power amp (400 watts!).