What's new

2 channel bookshelf speakers (1 Viewer)

Karl_Luph

Supporting Actor
Thinking about replacing my old Advents(2 way) that have been around for 20 someodd years.(They still sound ok, but I'm wanting something new. I can use the old ones out in the garage or something.) Anyway, I was needing some advice on what would be the best bookshelf speakers under $200.00 for 2 channel music only listening? I don't have a subwoofer so I'll need something that can deliver some bass,hopefully something with a 10" woofer, (I think the Advent's have an 8" in them).Someone mentioned NHT SB2 speakers in another post but I wasn't sure if they were using them as surround speakers or with a sub.

Chris Quinn

Screenwriter
Have you listened to anything? Is that $200 per or for a pair? At $200 for a pair I'd really listen to them against what you already own there may be little or no difference depending on what Advents you have. The NHT SB2s are nice but you are not going to find them even near $200 for a pair.

Karl_Luph

Supporting Actor
Thanks for the posts guys. I've got the Advent model 2002. A friend of mine gave them to me and I replaced the woofers(the original ones were rotted out around the outer edge), in them with radio shack woofers. Needless to say, I'm ready for an upgrade,lol! They're in a room about 12'X12'.I guess for $200 a pair I'm probably not going to get much.

CurtisSC

Screenwriter
John...that looks like a great deal on those JBL's....but I don't think his bookshelf will be big enough!

Victor Chan

Stunt Coordinator
Karl,

I also own the Ascend Acoustic CBM-170s and have yet to hear anything at or close to its price range that I would pick over them. However, at $328 + shipping, a little above your budget.

You could look at the Mirage FRx-3 that is on sale at audioadvisor.com for $199.95 w/ free shipping. Haven't heard them in person but people on this and other forums have had good things to say about them. They also play down to 47Hz, which is remarkable for bookshelves and would most likely satisfy your bass without a subwoofer requirement.

http://audioadvisor.com/store/produc...rry%20-%20Pair

Victor

chung_sotheby

Supporting Actor
Around $200, I would have to recommend the JBL S38's. Go down to about 45Hz or so, and sound better than any speaker in their price range outside of DIY. Can be had for something around $225-250. But the Mirage's are a good choice, as are some of the new Wharfedale speakers. Good luck

Victor Chan

Stunt Coordinator
The JBL S38s sounded pretty good the last time I heard them though they were in a less than ideal setup, but don't know how they would compare with the Wharfedales or the Mirages... neither of which I have heard. The benefit of the JBLs is their wide distribution network, so that you can go into any number of large electronics stores and can demo a pair to see if you like what you hear.

The cheapest I could find them online was at J&R for $250 with free shipping:

http://www.jandr.com/JRProductPage.p...uct_Id=2797690

THe NHT SuperOnes recommended by Chris are also a great recommendation as NHTs in general have been highly touted for their accuracy and uncolored music reproduction. However, not sure they play low enough for you...

Danny Tse

Senior HTF Member
For $200.00/pair, I would serious consider the Mirage FRx-3 mentioned above. Also, check out the JBL S26 . The JBL S26, in my opinion, is one the biggest bargain in the audio world. A little big as a bookshelf speaker, but they sound oh sooo smooth.

Before the JBL S26, I also owned the NHT SuperOne. Very nice in a small room. It comes down to your room size, the type of music you listen to, and the receiver/amp you're pairing them up with. The NHT are notorious for being power-hungry.

If you can stretch to $250.00/pair, the JBL S38 is a no-brainer.

John Garcia

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
The NHTs are low sensitivity, and sealed, which means they want, and can handle, a lot of power.

John...that looks like a great deal on those JBL's....but I don't think his bookshelf will be big enough!
Well, he said 10" driver, and there are very few bookshelf size speakers with 10" drivers these days. In that price range, and with bass a consideration, I don't think you can do much better than the S26 or S38 (and personally, I would choose either over anything in the N series).

Karl_Luph

Supporting Actor
Thanks for all the great info, I'm checking each one out. Actually, I can go with a speaker up to about 28" tall, so I'm looking at a number of options since size isn't a big problem,oops,.. forgive me for not posting that info from the beginning.I'm starting to figure out that there aren't many speakers made anymore with the big woofers, more are going with multiple smaller woofers.(Shows you I haven't bought home speakers in a while,lol!)Those jbl s38 look inviting too. Can they really get that much bass(45hz)?They look small, amazing.

Mikey B

Stunt Coordinator
My advice:

Contact Marc at the Audioshop http://www.audioshop.on.ca

He has closeout pricing on Axiom - not sure he would have anything useful as the site looks like Axiom products are next to gone. He also has Dahlquist and Mission speakers that look like they might do you well in your price range.

I bought Axioms from him a while back, and the experience could not have been better.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks